Join Shelby Forums Today

Does GM's ban on hipo cars after 2010 create opportunity for Ford?

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by bitzman, Feb 19, 2009.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that GM has stopped development on high performance cars after the 2010 model year. So that means the ZR-1 might be the last 200 mph cars from GM. Now that they are accepting bailout money , Congress might insist they build hybrids or even pure electrics before they spend more money going to the Nurburgring to see if they can beat a Porsche or Ferrari. In other words, to the new administration, ultra high performance is a place we need not go.

Which brings us back to Ford, Since Ford did not take the bail-out money so far, it seems to me that Congress can't tell them what to build or what not to build. They could come out with the Ford GT again (this time with an open version) or use part of the chassis for a front engined two seater Cobra.

Does anyone agree with me that this is a golden opportunity for Ford?

I won't predict anything for Chrysler. I think the owners of Chrysler realize now that they bought a pig in a poke and would like to get rid of the whole thing, and one of the first casualities will be the Viper. And once that's gone then it will be damn hard to bring it back later as cars with over 500 hp. will be opposed by the Green sentiment in Congress...

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

I think GM woes the day they approached congress for a helping hand.

I really don't see this as any special opportunity for Ford. They are going to have to concentrate on keeping themselves profitable so they are not in the same situation as their colleagues.

robin