Join Shelby Forums Today

1968 GT500 steering wheel

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by crzy4shelbys, Dec 1, 2008.

1. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Attached are some pictures of my uncle's '68 GT500. He was told by someone that the steering wheel was wrong for the car. My assumption is that they said that because it's not a deluxe wood grained wheel, however it's my understanding that not all '68's had the wood grain wheel. Any thoughts from the experts (Pete?... Tim?). I'm not sure if he thinks the shift knob is correct or not, but I'll let him know it's not.

BTW - The car is a 22 year old restoration. Not correct, but not modified. He's had it for about 12 years.

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

Attached Files:

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

The person that told your uncle the wheel was incorrect. Build sheets confirm not all cars had woodgrain wheels. Two different part numbers are listed. Do you have a build sheet for this one? Do standard wheels have the chrome band on the inside? Not sure why, but that looks odd to me.

I would say the shifter knob has been replaced at some time. The handle shown does not appear to have the reverse lock out disc either?

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/interior.HTML

I would love to post this excellent picture on my website with your permission.

Pete

3. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

Looking at the pic, a few things have been changed out. The wood grain cluster bezel, console gauges, drivers mirror, steering wheel wood grain,..[and the standard wheel doesn't have any chrome band on the inside].

4. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, Pete. I'm not sure if he has the build sheet or not. I've been encouraging him to get the Marti Report on it to confirm some other discrepencies between the registry and what he has been told about the car. The registry states Acapulco Blue with Saddle interior, however that does not jive at all with the stories my uncle has regarding the car's history. Since the Registry info is owner provided, I wanted him to get the report to at least clear up the colors/options, but I hadn't thought to have him check the usual places for the build sheet. Unfortuneately he's not too motivated to learn about the car's history right now.

You're more than welcome to use the picture.

Thanks again,
    Josh

5. Coralsnake

I recommend the deluxe report. The are about $45. An email to vinny at saac with the door warranty tag info might be a good idea.

I would recommend that you talk to Kevin Marti because he might have original sales invoices for the car.

6. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Pete's correct (like always) that some cars had standard black wheels. They would be early cars and like Pete said would be identified by the build sheet. The one you have appears to be a deluxe wheel that somone restored black. You are correct as far as the registry, some of it can be owner reported so get the Marti.

7. Coralsnake

I looked over the material last night and there were some cars built in the second week of March 1968. They had standard black steering wheels. The build sheets have a different code for the steering wheel. I suspect this was a supply shortage, because I have a build sheet for saddle interior car built at the same time and it has the woodgrain wheel.

I am not sure when your uncle's car was built, but upon further review I would say it seems a bit early to fit the pattern. The build sheet would be your best friend here.

:whistle: