Join Shelby Forums Today

A book from my family past...

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by DangerWillRobinson, Oct 16, 2008.

1. DangerWillRobinson

DangerWillRobinson New Member

Hi guys! I'm brand new here, and unfortunately not the owner of a Shelby. My father owned one when I was very young, but I was never old enough to appreciate it. He has long since sold his car, and I'm coming up on 30 years old...

Last month I was cleaning out the garage and came across an old book. It is a 1987 Copy of the Shelby American World Registry. I tried to research a little on the 'net, and it seems to be a fairly desirable book.

I have some questions. How would I tell if it's a 1st edition? Is the value diminished much if the dust cover is missing?

I am interested in placing this book in the hands of someone who appreciates it or has need. Do any of you happen to know an approximate value on the book?

Thanks for your time and any responses you may have.

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

My guess is about $50. Reprints of the 1997 version are available from Branda and would have more current information but some people may prefer to have an '87 version. I may be wrong on the price but you can look on eBay and see what they are selling for.
    Randall

3. DangerWillRobinson

DangerWillRobinson New Member

Thank you for the information! eBay never seemed to be a very reliable source... which is why I came to the enthusiasts.

4. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

There were actually one or two Registry's before the 1987 edition. Since all subsequent volumes of the Registry are updates, much of the information in the older books is incorrect or outdated. Even things like production numbers are unreliable. I would find it hard to believe you could even get $50 for a book.

5. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Maybe Wallace will want it. He is often getting razzed for not having any copy of the registry.

robin

6. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

I ended up giving my old one away, just for the same reasons as coralsnake mentioned. Other than some kind of collectablity sake, I would think any $ amount would be a gift. [JMO]

7. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Speaking of the old registries, for 37 years I have kept one that predates 1969, the year I got it but there is no publication date. The club , not called SAAC because SAAC hadn't been invented yet, was based in Grosse Pointe, MI. The odd thing is that they misspell the name of their town on the introductory page (you think you'd know that). At one time I thought it was completely outdated but looking at it just today I recognized the name of a 427 Cobra owner though he's changed States but when I last saw him a year or so ago he told he me still had the car. I also heard from a Brit who has a copy of the same Registry that three of the British owners from pre-1969 still have their Cobras, so it's not a "dead list" yet by any means.

I wouldn't throw away an old registry--as those CSX2000 and CSX3000 buyers who want to trace back their car's history through the owners one by one--would find them invaluable .

8. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

How would that be true? Each new Registry updates and corrects errors in previous volumes. Current issues do not leave out listing previous owners.