Join Shelby Forums Today

Saw the new book on Shelby's driving career

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by bitzman, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Had to peek over someone else's shoulder as they leafed through it at a car show as it's not available until mid-October but basically looks like a good picture book, softbound, horizontal format, lots of rare pictures I have not seen before. Writer/publisher is Art Evans
    who was there in the Fifties when Shelby was first racing. It's a paperbound book. There appears to be some words but it is mostly a picture book. A few pictures after 1960 (his last year as a race driver).

Here's the official descripton----------------------------------------------

Shelby, the Race Driver: With Remembrances by Carroll Shelby
    $29.95
    by Art Evans
    Before a Cobra was even a gleam in his eye, Carroll Shelby was a great race driver, one of the very best Americans driving during the 1950s. His career behind the wheel is told for the first time in this new book. It includes remembrances written by Shelby himself along with many never before published photographs. Among other achievements, Shelby won Le Mans in 1959, was twice the Sport Car Club of America National Champion and was chosen Sports Car Driver of the Year two times. The book details a large number of his races as well as his relationships with Juan Fangio, Phil Hill, Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham and John Fitch among many others. Shelby had World Championship ability, but unfortunately, his racing career was cut short after the 1960 season due to his heart condition.

192 pages. Due late October 2008.

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Was that you reading over my shoulder?

j/k, I will keep an eye out or the book later this month.

robin

3. PonySnake

PonySnake Active Member

Re: New book #2 - Shelby Cars in Detail

I received a color catalog this week on the new book (due November) from Bull Publishing called Shelby Cars in Detail. Has a Cobra, Daytona Coupe, 1965 GT350 and a Mark IV shot close-up, in a studio. The photos look incredible. Has anyone seem a real version of this yet?

4. PonySnake

PonySnake Active Member

www.bullpublishing.com/pdf/bull-catalog.pdf

Not sure if this link will work to open the catalog - but the www.bullpublishing.com address will get you there. The website is even better than the catalog! I guess these are mostly the cars from the museum in Boulder? Nothing compares to a good studio photograph for detail. I wish they would go a year by year book on the best concours and survivor cars from 65-70 to help those working on restorations.