Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 shelby rear end backing plates

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by jbarela, Aug 30, 2008.

1. jbarela

jbarela Well-Known Member

Ok...since I am searching for a set I better know what I am asking for...What brand of backing plates came on the 66 shelby? our car is a late march built car ....we currently have K/H plates on our 65 rear housing we have in our car now.. so I am looking for another set for our new 66 housing we are putting together for our car..

I have seen the backing plates for the 10 x 2 1/2 set up marked FoMoCo and Bendix as well....so which set do I need to be correct for our car?????

If I am not able to find someone who has a set for sale that is correct...
    can anyone tell me how to pull the axles out and put them back in so I can just use the ones we have now??Or do I need a shop to pull and re-install the axles after I pull the backing plates off..

THanks so much guys!!

Jimmy
    barelafamilia@comcast.net

2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I am not sure which backing plate is correct however, to remove the axles just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the backing plates on and pull out the axles. You may need a light tap to persuade them to come out. Grab the backing plates and shove the axles back in. Easiest rear end to pull backing plates from.
    Jimmy

3. jbarela

Cool..thank you so much for that info...sounds easy enough!!! Will do it on Monday..will post how it went!! thanks so much..

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Jimmy, use the FoMoCo marked K/H backing plates. Bob

5. jbarela

Ok...realy dissapointed here....just pulled off our backing plates and the are marked FORD and Bendix..good thing is the brake components are marked K/H yeaaaa....still need some FOMOCO marked backing plates stamped with K/H and some original k/H drums as well...

please if anyone has a lead or knows someone who might want to sell the set they are holding on to...

Thank you..

JImmy