Join Shelby Forums Today

Car storage on concrete floor-Tips for rust

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by BillyRay, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Member

Friends,
    Does anyone have any tips on what to put down on a concrete floor to prevent any moisture?
    I have a brand new car stored here in AZ since Feb 07, I went yesterday to start car and let run for 20 mins.I looked under car and could see a little rust on the rearend supports and mufflers. I was shocked because here in AZ were the air is mainly dry. I was thinking there might be something to lay under the car for the future. Maybe cardboard etc???
    Anyone have any tips? Also there may be a thing or two you DO NOT want to put under your car!
    Thanks Billy

2. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you are in AZ, or how much landscaping there is near your garage, but vapor transmissions through a garage slab can result in significant moisture when you have a condition of dry air over moist soil with a porous concrete slab between them. The porosity of concrete is related to the water/cement ratio of the original mix, and garage slabs are typically a high water/cement ratio for ease of finishing, which results in a slab that offers very little resistance to vapor transmission. House slabs are usually placed over a vapor barrier such as visqueen, which helps stop this moisture from coming through.

In order to narrow down the source of your moisture, I'd suggest doing a shade tree version of a bulb test. To test a slab for the level of vapor transmissions, a clear plastic bulb is placed on the slab and left for a predetermined amount of time after which the amount of moisture which has condensed on the inside of the bulb can be measured. You can perform a similar test by cutting a 12" square piece of clear plastic, such as a produce bag from the grocery store (be careful that there aren't any tears or holes) and taping it down to your garage slab. Use a tape that will form a good seal to both the bag and the concrete, like packing tape or duct tape. Leave the plastic in an area where it won't be disturbed for a couple days. If you have moisture being trapped under the plastic, then you've got vapors coming up through the slab. You can then decide how to address the problem depending on the amount of moisture. Some floor sealants can be applied to the surface of the concrete (again, depending on the amount of moisture).

Try doing the test, then let me know if you've got condensation on the plastic and how much and then I can recommend some remedies for sealing the concrete if need be.

Josh

3. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

A cheap Fix is Charcoal that you use for Bar-B-Ques. Just buy several Bags and place them in the Corners of the Storage Unit. Lay them down and cut open the Side and open them up. The Charcoal should absorb the moisture. We do this when ever we place anything in Storage and it works great..... and I live in Florida.

David.

4. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

does storage unit have electricity? If so, put a fan or two that can blow at least particularly under the car. Moving air will help minimize any condensation.

Z. Ray

5. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

6. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

yes, the CarCapsule is the best, if a little pricey, option. It is cheaper than rust repair however.

Z. Ray

7. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

Another way to achieve a "vapor barrier" is to paint your garage floor with properly formulated urethane paint for concrete.

The best I've found is from Griot's Garage, Seattle, WA. I've used it several
    times. Great results.

The garage floor has to be properly prepared: etched, neutralized, and flushed. Follow the directions!

Two full coats have to be applied. You will end up with a great looking floor
    ( think NASCAR type ) that provides an excellent barrier to moisture.

This does not come cheap; about $60 a gallon and a lot of work, but definately worth it.

8. rossgt

rossgt Well-Known Member

Have you tried a dehumidifier?

9. d_ford

d_ford Well-Known Member

Did you happen to look under your car prior to purchase? My '07 GT500 had rust on the rear suspension and differential on all the bare metal when I brought it home. I've heard from many owners that had the same problem so I assume it came that way from the factory, maybe from sitting outside waiting for transport.
    My car had been on the dealer showroom floor since delivery so it didn't happen there.

10. Supercharger

Supercharger Member

I think they all have rust on the rear axles, etc. My suggestion is go to Home Depot or similar place and buy some of those rugs with rubber backings. I have about six of them, which cover the entire area of the car plus a few feet on sides and ends.