Join Shelby Forums Today

Missing Spare Tire

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by RWM, Jul 28, 2008.

1. RWM

RWM Member

I just took delivery a new 08 Shelby GT. I noticed there was no spare tire in the trunk, only a "Fix A Flat" device that is used to refill your tire if you get a flat. When I asked the dealer where the spare tire was, his response was that "When a GT goes to Shelby to be modified, part of the process is adding 18 inch wheels and that an 18 inch wheel won't fit in the spare tire holder in the trunk" If that's true, why not leave the stock wheel to be used in an emergency. "Fix A Flat" won't work on a blowout. Is the dealer being honest or am I being buffaloed? Thanks everyone.

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Just an uninformed dealer. The 18 inch wheels are put on by Ford not Shelby. But all the Shelby GT's are equipped with the emergency air inflater device in lieu of a spare tire. You are right that it won't help in a blowout situation.

Good Luck!

robin

3. RWM

RWM Member

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

4. elfgod33

elfgod33 Member

Hey...just be lucky you found out when you did. I had a flat and just like the rest of the world I went to the trunk to change the dang thing and low and behold I had no spare!!! :mad:
    My dealer didn't even know they didn't come with one.

5. dragpack70

dragpack70 Member

I just removed the inflator pack from my GT500, and installed a GT jack, tire iron, and an SVT 18x9.5 wheel, and front P255/45ZR18 Goodyear F1 Supercar tire. It just squeezes into the well, but, of course, the well isn't deep enough for the wide tire, so it sticks up through the new hole in the trunk mat/fiber panel.

According to the Goodyear data panels, the front and rear tires have almost the same diameter, so I think it will work OK for a temp spare for the rear, too (better than the 50mph standard temp spares).

I haven't had many flats on the road, but pretty much every one of them has been of the not-fixable kind of tire damage. The slow leaks I can take care of at home at my leisure.

spare.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  6. PIZZILLO58

PIZZILLO58 New Member

Simple... Get A Gt Spare, Jack, Wrench, Ect. Use It Temp... Beats Leaving Your Car Somewhere Bad. A Gt Spare Will Fit The Back, If The Blowout Is In The Front, Simpley Jack The Back Up, Put The Spare On The Back, Then Put The Back Tire On The Front. More Work But It Will Get You Home W/o A Expensive Tow Bill....gabe:

7. Narno

Narno New Member

Hi Guys
    I am based in Auckland New Zealand and have just purchased a 2007 Shelby GT500sight unseen, which I will shipping back to New Zealand shortly.
    I never thought to ask if the vehicle had a spare tire as common sense would suggest it should - but no.
    I have taken a look on Americanmuscle.com and note that their have 18*9.5 rims that they recommend fitting with 255/ 45/ 18 tires.
    Does anyone know if this wheel / tire combination would (1) clear the brakes? and (2) fit in the wheel well in the trunk.
    Hope you can help.
    Regards
    Paul N.

8. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

No you do not have a spare tire. Yes the wheel will clear the brakes. The tire will only go down so far in that wheel well. You will need to find a low profile jack that will go under the car with a flat tire. I suggest an electric impact wrench.

9. rdrumm

rdrumm Active Member

I like the idea, I'm going to choose a bi-directional tire though!

10. Narno

Narno New Member

Hi Guys

I have just taken delivery of my 2007 Shelby GT500, having imported her from the US back to New Zealand. I like some of you also wanted a good sized spare wheel that would also fit in the wheel well in the trunk.

What I have done is purchased an 18" * 8" alloy wheel that clears the front brakes and fitted a 215/45/18 tire.

This combination has a diameter which is 3.6cm or in your language 1.44" smaller diamater than the stock standard wheels on the GT500.
    Obviously if I ran this spare on the rear it would damage the limited slip differential so I will only run the spare on the front.
    If I get a puncture in the rear I will take a wheel from the front, fit it to the rear and put the spare on the front.
    I have also removed the surclips off the wheel studs on the front wheels as the spare wheel I have does not have the recesses to acommodate these clips like the stock wheels on the car. This is not an issue as it is highly likely that any aftermarket wheels placed on the car would require these surclips to be removed and they are merely there as keeper for when the wheel is removed - to be honest they are not necessary and most vehicles do not have them.

I wanted a spare wheel because you can not always rely on a tire panda (pump unit like the one provided with the GT500) to repair a tire.
    The idea being I can drive carefully to a garage to get a new tire and then replace it on the car in a prompt manner.

The wheel fits nicely in the wheel well and only raises the trunk mat approx 1/2".

This is a good all round comprise.