Join Shelby Forums Today

07 Shelby GT -White - Stripe Problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Laura, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Hi Shelby lovers...
    I have a 07 GT and the silver stripes are discolored. It started a few weeks ago and it's just getting worse by the day! The car is always garaged, it has just over 5k miles, we have it hand washed every 7-14 days. Anyone else having this prooblem? My Ford dealer has ordered new stripes...but I'm am nervous as *&%$ that they are going to screw it up changing them out.
    I am open to any ideas, advice, etc...
    Thanks!!
    ~Laura

PS: And, we had a BAD rattle in the exhaust system that they've seemed to have fixed. And the driver side airbag light was staying on (after we did the recall fix for the passenger side) -- they fixed that, too.

2. Doug_GT350

Doug_GT350 Well-Known Member

Re: 07 GT -White - Stripe Problem

No problem with the stripe....yet, I have had a rattle in the exhaust but that seemed to go away on it's own. I understand your fear of going back to the dealer, that's why I 'm not going to get the recall taken care of. With my luck they'll reflash the tune. Call me Father Doug! I'll just let little boys in the front seat. Since the recall stated "During an airbag deployment, if a small female in the front passenger seat is not wearing the saftey belt" The little girls get the back seat.
    Good luck with your stripe problem, keep us posted.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Doug..
    They said the rattle in the back was due to th lack of some harness. You might want to call you dealer and check it...? I will follow up with the bogus stripe issue, too :)

~L

4. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Would the spotting be due to hard water from hand washing?

robin

5. rossgt

rossgt Well-Known Member

The stripes on the GT are problematic. Some have issues some do not. It is a warranty issue. They have taken car of many cars that have had the same issue. There are many theories buy no clear reason. Many dealers do not do the replacement in house and have outside vendor's complete the project. Check if that is the case and if so will your car be driven to another location or will the work completed on the dealers site.

The exhaust rattle was due to some of the hangers being too long and needed 1/2" cut from the end. With the lowered suspension, they were hitting the unibody frame.

Again, all fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps some.
    Roger

6. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

Hi
    I am an outaide vendor who has been doing stripes for 16+ years.
    Just did a set of silver stripes for the local dealer last week. Hood scoop replacement left marks in the original hood stripes.
    Part of the problem is inherent. Silver is just not as durable and doesn't last as long as solid color vinyl. Most non metallic premium vinyl has a 7 - 9 year durability. Silver is 3 - 5 years at best. This is based on a side application. Not upper surface hood, roof and trunk. On upper surfaces cut these numbers by 1/2 to 2/3. It can all stain and spot.
    Since it is garaged, and looks like a white car, the problem isn't heat cooking the stripes.
    We had the same issue with some fleet vehicles and the cause was traced back to the car wash they were going to every 2- 4 weeks. Wrong PH level. Fine for paint bad for vinyl. Get some PH strips from the auto parts store and test your soap and water. See how acidic it is. Chances are the earlier post was correct. Look at the stripes on the sides and bumper. See if there is a difference. The soap and water don't sit on these areas, and the minerals don't have a chance to eat in to the vinyl.
    dz

7. angrrmgt

angrrmgt Member

i have the same problems with my shelby GT. i have white car silver stripes and the stripes have water stains in the hood,roof and trunk. the look horrible!!! i hesitate to have a dealer do the stripe fix. i also have the rattle upon cold startup.

8. Doug_GT350

Doug_GT350 Well-Known Member

First off Thanks Dave for the very informative post, Well done!
    Second I can see where I will be washing mine as little as possible, since I know I have hard water!

9. maxx77

maxx77 New Member

Hard water in my town too. I've only washed my 07 GT once so far. Don't know if it was the water itself or the water pressure, but I lost the "E" on the back of the car as a result. :( Won't be washing this car any more than I have to, especially since it looks like I'll have to worry about the stripes fading.

Thanks to all who posted about your exhaust rattling, btw. That's originally what I came to this forum looking for. Mine rattles quite a bit after I've driven it for a few minutes or have hit a bump. It's at the dealership right now. It's already been looked at once. They couldn't find any issues. If they fail to find anything today I'm going to quote you guys and have them look again.

*update*

Dealership just called, told me it was the hanger! They just heated it up and adjusted it somehow instead of trimming it. They also ordered me a replacement E. That's covered under the warranty (I was afraid it wasn't). No more being embarrassed by the rattling when I drive it! Only thing to be embarrassed about now is killing it at intersections...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  10. tekheavy

tekheavy New Member

Anyone try Claybar on their stripes?

11. Bobert

Bobert Member

Good Morning: Dave Z is currently redoing my 2007 Shelby GT stripes (under warranty) at his shop here in Northern Virginia. This guy really knows his stuff. He is also a owner of some Shelby cars and is a real Shelby lover! The kit sent from Ford/Shelby is a new material and appears to have a thicker clear coating on it that give the stripes a shine. He told me he doesn't know how it will perform...so we will just have to see. Just thought I would mention we have a real expert here on the forum...

Hope he continues to write here and give all of us advice!

12. angrrmgt

angrrmgt Member

i got some good news today, my stripe replacement was approved. they are going to replace my front bumper,hood,roof,trunk and rear bumper cover stripes. they will need the car at least 3 days. according to ford, they stripes need to dry for 48hours. i am trying to get a loaner. i will keep all update. one question though, is my hood scoop bolted down, i heard all 07's were bolted down and the 08's are riveted down. i also wonder how they will reattach the shelby letters on my trunk?

13. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

The '07's were bolted hood scoop with fake rivets. After complaints of warping, the attachment method was changed to rivets. So an '07 could be either bolted or riveted depending on whether it was updated or not.

The letters should be reattached with double sided tape like they were originally.

robin

14. angrrmgt

angrrmgt Member

i bought my shelby new and the hood is slightly warped. i never complained and i just accepted it as is. i figured that was why the hood was warped or bowed on the side slightly. so i can assume it is bolt on then.

15. Bobert

Bobert Member

I just wanted to tell you all that DaveZ did my Shelby GT (White/Silver automatic) stripes a few weeks ago and he does absolutely outstanding work!!!! If you are within driving distance of Northern Virginia/Wash DC and need the stripes redone (or the hood scoop) he is the go to guy for this work.

Bobert

16. lgs07shelbygt

lgs07shelbygt Member

Surprised and concerned to hear several owners are having issues with their stripes, and that ph of water may be the cause.
    Our '07 GT is Black with Silver and has been hand washed too many times to recall in the past 14 months. Guess we have good water here in the beautiful Northwest. Always use Meguair's Gold wash, lots of water including last rinse without a nozzel as helps sheet the excess water off, followed by Eagle1 wax while U dry. Occasionally, use Meguair's detailer.
    Car is always garaged, but occassionally does sit in parking lot all day when drive to work on a nice sunny day.
    btw - no rattles or any iother ssues for that matter....maybe I just got lucky.

17. Bobert

Bobert Member

You do have better rain water out there than we do in the east. Part of the issue is that many of these cars sat on dealers lots unsold for many months and the rain just sat on the striping. I saw a black SGT at a used car lot here the other day (10K miles) and the stripes looked and felt like sand paper! They had really deteriorated!

Glad to here yours is doing well...not everyone has been that lucky!

Bobert

18. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Update on 07 - 08 SGT Silver Stripes

This week (Monday) I turned my 08 SGT into the Ford dealer to have the silver stripes and hood scoop replaced for the second time. The dealer had the scoop & stripes in stock, having ordered them several months ago. I just got off the phone with the service manager and was informed that Ford had just sent a stop order to all dealerships regarding the replacement stripes. It seems as though the new stripes are subject to the same spotting as the original factory stripes.

I'm not sure what Ford Motor Company or Shelby paid/pays for the stripes, but it seems to me that they would save money (not a bad idea in today's economy) and keep satisfied customers (also not a bad idea), if they just authorized painting and clear coating the silver stripes. I've had an estimate done and the cost for replacing the vinyl decals (not the ones on the side as these don't seem to be subject to the same deterioration) is about $1500.

4.6 SHLB

19. Flyinaceman

Flyinaceman Member

Re: Update on 07 - 08 SGT Silver Stripes

Looks like I'll be going thru the same headaches that you are having as my scoop and stripes are no good also. Too make good they should paint them on and give you a choice of color. I'd much prefer blue stripes over the silver ones.

20. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Re: Update on 07 - 08 SGT Silver Stripes

Here is another update on the silver stripe issue for the 07-08 SGT's. Ford has apparently lifted the stop order on replacing the silver stripes. My Ford dealers service writer that had ordered the set of stripes, hood scoop & rivets that were to have been installed before the "stop order," let me know yesterday that Ford had sent him an e-mail. Another complete set of stripes, hood scoop & rivets are coming in later this week. My repair will take place during early July. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Bob
    4.6 SHLB &
    57AGIN