Join Shelby Forums Today

07 Shelby GT -White - Stripe Problem

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Laura, Jul 9, 2008.

1. robertvelazquez

robertvelazquez New Member

Re: Update on 07 - 08 SGT Silver Stripes

hello i got the stripe problem if you can advice how to fix this let me know

2. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

Re: Update on 07 - 08 SGT Silver Stripes

The chances are you are out of warranty for replacement. I would go to a professional auto-graphics shop and get a matching replacement. Get the best material you can, which is usually a 5-8 year warranty. Make sure the stripes are 9" wide and EXACTLY 1" apart all the way around the car.

Try not to allow the car to sit out with standing water or dew as there are chemicals in the air, some areas more than others, that eat this stuff for breakfast.

3. scdemar

scdemar New Member

Re: 07 GT -White - Stripe Problem

I have a 2008 Shelby GT-C, Grabber Orange w/Silver Stripes. bought car from Cal Worthington Ford-Long Beach in Dec 2008, date of manufacture 07/2007, so car sat on lot for 17 months, since purchased always garaged, hand washed, 6,000 original miles, stickers look like crap (understatement). i requested replacement of stripes 10/2010 from Jim Burke Ford in Bakersfield (my local dealer) refused to honor my factory warranty for the stripes (dealer Stated damage due to fallout) another note that makes their fallout diagnosis crap is that my hood & front bumper stripes have minimal damage compared to roof, trunk, and rear bumper, prompting me to think that some stripes on car are not original, plus after purchase i found a shipping document in the car for one replacement hood scoop from Shelby Inc-Las Vegas, also think scoop not original. I THINK CARROL SHELBY SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR SELLING SUCH CRAP PRODUCTS, AND NOT MAKING GOOD ON POOR QUALITY!!!

ONE UNHAPPY OWNER. ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE GET SCREWED BY SHELBY.:angry:

4. Bobert

Bobert Member

It is not Shelby that is screwing you. It is Ford. I have an 08 as well as an 07 and recently ran into the same problem. I would recomend that you send a letter to Mark Fields at Ford and tell him of your displeasure.

There are two guys that sit at Ford in Dearborn and their job is apparently to do everything they can to deny claims by owners on Shelby and SVT products. The original dealer apparently messed with my car and replaced the hood stripes on their own (because the only way to get the stripes from Shelby is to order the entire kit and dealers were not going to shell out the money to do that on a car as Shelby does not sell stripes separately). I suspect they replaced them while trying to fix the warped hood scoop as the everyone knows about that problem. Mine has the original scoop and they riveted it down at the dealer and I suspect mucked up the stripes in the process. It appears they sent it to a local guy...as their is no record of stripes from Shelby on my car but the hood stripes were slightly different in size (I never noticed it)....I ran into the same problem....denied by Ford.

My car like yours is still under the original three year warranty. Their should be no question about replacement of the stripes on these cars. They sat at Shelby in the hot sun with no protection, then at dealers for long periods of time and the problem started before purchase by many of us. The stripes on my garaged car are now flat and look like silver sand paper with brown blotches in them.

By the way I am 59, have a car collection and never have been treated by a manufacture as badly on a warranty claim as I have been treated by Ford on this car. The dealers want to make the customer happy...the problem is Ford. Mark Fields instead of standing at Barrett Jackson hyping the product needs to understand he has a quality issue and needs to pay attention and take some action.

We occasionally take the Shelbys to a local Cars and Coffee Saturday morning get together. Usually I drive one of my Italians. Ford needs to understand that car guys stand and chat and we are the guys at the office that people come to for advice when making a purchase. I was thinking of ordering a new Boss to add to my collection...now I have changed my mind. I love my 02 Retrobird, my 07 Red Stripe 500...but his problem needs to be addressed in an adult fashion by Ford...and the customer needs to be treated with the respect they deserve as they did pay a premium for the "Shelby" cars.

The Bobert

5. DaveZ

DaveZ Member

To Scdemar
    I think you need to talk to a different service advisor at the dealer or a different dealership. Shelby seems to still be taking care of the stripes. I did 2 replacements in the last couple of monthe for our local dealers. The process I have seen take place is the service advisor contacts Shelby directly. Ford doesn't seem to be in the process.

Regarding them selling whole kits only that is not the case. I have done partial warranty replacement claims as well as reinstalled bunches of collision damaged cars where partial kits were purchased and sent out. You can buy the pieces you need.

Concerning the hood scoops I have seen 3 versions. The first was a heavy rubber that collapsed in the heat. The remedy was a different rubber with a heavy foam block as a core to prevent collapsing in the center. The sides buckeled and damaged the stripes. The final and current version is a fiberglass scoop that is also riveted on. Seems to be fine now.

The reason your bumpers don't look as bad as the hood roof and trunk is heat retention. The plastic does not get as hot as the steel and does not cook the stripes the way the metal panels do. Plus they don't get the same sun exposure as the upper surfaces. Notice there are no problems with the side SHELBY GT stripes. Heat, sun exposure and chemical exposure when water sits on the stripes.

To everyone who says this is a quality issue I disagree. It was a bad choice issue when the initially started striping them. This is what silver vinyl does. There is no pigment in silver. There is nothing but fine metalflake in whatever clear chemical they use to make up the stripe. You notice that there are few if any problems with the other colors. I think it was a bad choice in the first place to have them done in silver vinyl no matter the brand. Plus they put them on a lot of black and dark colored cars which get the hottest out in the sun.
    Someone comes in my shop and wants silver stripes they get zero warranty.
    3M doesn't warranty anything on a horizontal / upper surface installation. These stripes by the way have never been a 3M product.

SCDEMAR I think you just need to ask the right person at the dealer who knows how to get it done for you.
    Dave Z

rshelby likes this.
  6. Bobert

Bobert Member

DaveZ: I just got turned down on my 08 from Ford/Shelby. By the way, you did our White 07 a couple of years ago and you are exactly correct about the silver and the break down. As you will recall the material seemed to be thicker and heavier...yet it is now starting to show signs of age even though we have kept the stripes regularly waxed with P-21. The car is my daughters and does sit out all the time...now its at college.

The process is still as it was then when Ted Britt did the white car that they send photos to the SVT team at Ford, then the SVT team talks with Shelby and gets the approval. My opinion is that the SVT team has been told to cut back on these approvals and any excuse they can find to deny the replacement is being used. In my case, after I chatted with the SVT manager of the team, they went to Shelby and I was told yesterday that even though my car is still under the 3 year warranty (11,000miles) Shelby turned it down. This time I did it through Koons who have a very good body shop and a great body shop manager. I was told by him that you would be doing the work and since you are a high quality guy and since you are top notch in this area I was very pleased to find out you would be the guy to do my blue car. I saw the blue 08 you did a few months ago for Koons and mine was not anywhere near that stage...but my stripes have rust colored blotches in them and are litterally sand paper when you run your hand across them.

It does not seem to matter that I have ownership of 1 other GT and also now own a 2007 GT500 to Shelby or Ford....they appear top be just interested in saving a buck. I wanted the car redone as I am now garaging it and I beleive the original damage was done when it sat at Richmond Ford for a year outside unsold.

As I said in my previous response in this thread...I am shocked at the treatment by the SVT team at Ford. If they treat the owners of the performance cars this way...god knows what Ford does to the folks that buy their economy cars!

Bobert

PS: If you are in need of this kind of work in the DC area on a Shelby or any other car...get DaveZ to do it. He is high quality!

7. 2thehilt

2thehilt New Member

I also have a White with silver stripe 07-GT. The stripes on mine went bad and I had a 2 year battle with Shelby, Ford Racing, Ford and my dealership to get them replaced under warranty. Long story short my dealership finally paid out of their pocket to get them replaced but we opted to get them painted on instead of replacing them with vinyl again. The painted stripes look fantastic and actually the dealership said it cost less to have them painted on then to have new vinyl ones put back on.

If you are going to replace your stripes I would seriously consider the paint option. It will fix the issue once and for all instead of you having to replace the vinyl every 3 - 5 years.

Hope that helps.

Phil

8. Dlancer

Dlancer Active Member

I tried the product that someone on the forum suggested Plexus. It seemed to stop or at least slow down the degrading of the stripes. They still looked bad and had spotting on them. I then bought some 303 Protectant at my son's shop. I have been using that for the last month or so and the stripes are starting to look better. The spotting and fading are much less noticeable than before. This has happened even in the winter weather here in Cincinnati. I drive my car a lot even in the winter as long as there is little or no snow on the ground. I do have an old Jeep Cherokee for when it snows. The Shelby is not kept in a garage. I am not the original owner of the Shelby so neither Ford Or Shelby want to replace there crappy stripes.

9. 2007ShelbyGT

2007ShelbyGT Member

Re: 07 GT -FL - Stripe Problem

I am in Sarasota - Ft Myers Florida area : anyone in my area have issues with stripes,rattles,scoop and what dealership would be the best to work with on warranty?

10. m_yurkewych

m_yurkewych New Member

Just wanted to thank some of the members on this board (Laura,rossgt,max77) for sharing their problem with the exhaust rattle, and how they fixed it.

For a couple of months now, I've noticed a rattle near the driver's side rear wheel well, but the noise isn't consistent. It seems most likely to happen at low rpms, or when the engine just starts to heat up. I'll bet that this is the exhaust rattle you guys are talking about. I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to diagnose this on my own, let alone how many trips I would have had to take to the mechanic!

11. michaelshane

michaelshane New Member

I have a 2007 Shelby GT black with silver stripes. After 6 months of owning the car the stripes started looking rusted. The dealer replaced them. Now 3 years later they have the rusted look again. The look 50 years old. I am going back and forth with Shelby Motors to fix it so it doesn't happen again Shelby's Vice Pres. Gary Patterson has admitted to the problem with the stripes but will not help me. I just contacted Shelby's President John Luft. I am waiting for a reply from Mr. Luft

12. michaelshane

michaelshane New Member

I have a 2007 Shelby GT black with silver stripes. After 6 months of owning the car the stripes started looking rusted. The dealer replaced them. Now 3 years later they have the rusted look again. The look 50 years old. I am going back and forth with Shelby Motors to fix it so it doesn't happen again Shelby's Vice Pres. Gary Patterson has admitted to the problem with the stripes but will not help me. I just contacted Shelby's President John Luft. I am waiting for a reply from Mr. Luft

13. tommy54177

tommy54177 Member

I have a '08 Vista Blue Shelby GT with the siver metallic stripes. They are still perfect. Car has 18K miles on it.

Only warranty problem was a rattle in the "A" pillars (when cold out). There was a recall on this and fixed under warranty. They just had to slip a rubberized piece of "tape between 2 metal joints).

Also had the hood pins and lanyards replace, but the replacements are rusting again, even though "Stainless Steel??

14. jhm8642

jhm8642 New Member

Laura,
    Take a look at my post "jhm8642" to see what I've experienced with striping problem. I am having the stripes painted on to completely take care of problem once and for all. I hope Shelby/Ford will "man-up" and do the right thing by covering some of my cost($2,500), if not all.

15. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

Hello, I have a white '07 Shelby with the same silver stripe issues, they look terrible. Also the riveted hood scoop is pretty warped and gapping. I see a lot of people were able to get the stripes fixed under warranty, but when i called Shelby they said the warranty was only good 3 years... What's the deal?
    Thanks, Lindsey

16. Bobert

Bobert Member

Lindsey: When I was at the Amelia Island Concours a few weeks ago i chatted with the President of Shelby American about the stripe problem. He explained that in the case of the new cars they are producing they have removed the metalic flake from the tape but that does not solve the problem for the older GT owners.

I solved my problem on both my cars by taking them to D&V automotive in Sterling VA and having them paint them on. They look outstanding and I had them match the stripes in an exact fashion to the factory so the size is identical.

I would suggest that you plan to have them painted on as the cars are out of warranty and it will solve your problem. I shopped the costs and found D&V to be reasonable (I had some really large $ estimates) and the fact that they did high end paint work (Ferrari and Maserati for example) was a big plus in getting them done correctly.

The painted on stripes make the car just sparkle now...and the problem is solved. By the way the stripe kit to redo them is around $1000 plus labor to put them on so it does not cost a whole lot more to get them painted on the car!

Bobert