Join Shelby Forums Today

There's an article on Gulf GT40 in Classic Car this month (July)

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by bitzman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

This is not the article on the roadster that they dug up in the UK that I am awaiting anxiously to see (to explain how it was so undamaged after 40 years in the sod)
    but instead some factory test GT40 coupe that was renumbered.
    It is painted in Gulf livery. It makes me nervous when they take
    a car made with one chassis number and re-assign it another chassis number later on, as then there is too much chance of the car being counted twice.
    But the magazine is still worth buying if you want to have every article on file on original GT40s.

2. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hello to all! Thanks for the heads up on an article.Many of us have been collecting for years.and look for new info.Just a suggestion to calm your nerves-buy the book by Ronnie Spain.It covers all cars and has details that are specific to each and every one.The SAAC registry is also a must have..With only approximately 126 cars built it has been vital to keep track of each one.Race cars do have a better chance of damage occuring,and a few cars were used for crash testing!If you need to see a live MKIII check out the Petersen Museum,It is well worth the visit.Enjoy!

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

The Bondurant/Whitmore dug up GT40 in Classic Car now

The long awaited article is in the magazine on the newsstand now. Pretty sure its Classic Cars July issue. The article says the car was cut in half and stored but doesn't say it was buried as I had heard previously. Poor Ronnie Spain must be fretting,now his books are wrong as far as that car, as you can see it ran at the last Goodwood, good as new (and maybe better...) Hope I can be around when Bondie or Whitmore see it after 40 some years...