Join Shelby Forums Today

front grill detail

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by chanes1one, Jul 1, 2008.

1. chanes1one

chanes1one Member

Question to the experts about the front grill of a 69 Gt500. Is the front grill and the headlamp trim rings black or charcoal. I've also seen various ways that cars appear to have a charcoal "blackout" area where the grill attatches to the inner fender/headlamp bucket. What is the consensus on factory correct ? Thanks Luis

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The headlight buckets were painted the charcoal gray as well as the fog-light bracket and the grill. To better understand the process let me explain the build procedure. The fenders were painted body color with the headlight buckets bolted on. Then the fog-light bracket and painted lower valence were bolted on . This whole assembly was held in a huge claw like fixture to be inserted onto the car in one complete piece later. The front grill area assembly was then painted the dark charcoal . Then the semi gloss painted grill was attached and then the grill was painted charcoal in place after it was attached (this makes two sprays in the same area). Only the front side of the grill was attempted to be painted so the back side should be mostly semi gloss black to be historically correct. The park-light area of the lower valance was blacked out and the back side of the lower valence was blacked out along with a little of the fenders where they meet the lower valence. The head lights were installed and then the headlight trim rings were installed . I have seen the rings both semi gloss black and charcoal like the rest of the grill. I think they look best matching but ether would be right in my book. Most people paint these parts separately but if you know how it was done at the factory you can replicate how it should look. I hope this helps.

3. chanes1one

chanes1one Member

Bob, Thanks for the reply. I have also seen a area below the hood line that appears to have been masked of off and shot with charcoal on the front inner fendes\rs were the brackets attach. Is there a good explanation of this Thanks Luis

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Yes Luis, we were discussing the grill so I didn't mention it. I have seen it shot two ways . 1. A thin straight line just above the edge and 2.a line that angles up starting at the front edge and angles up towards the opposite edge . I have seen the #2 style at various angles all the way from just off a straight line to a angle which cuts through where the brkt fasteners are. Bob