Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby oil pan

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by hueycobra, Jun 18, 2008.

1. hueycobra

hueycobra New Member

I have a T-finned oil pan for my Shelby clone. I had to fight hard to win the auction for it. Can anyone help me out on what I have. It is a finned 71/2 or 8 quart T oil pan Identical to the cobra embossed open lettered oil pan, Except it say's Shelby. It has the baffles and i was told it is an original sold by shelby dealers in the 60's. I have been unable to find one like it. All i have found has cobra on the side. this one says:confused: SHELBY and open lettered and is small block. Did I buy a Rare item or a Pig In A sack?:confused:

2. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

Hi

Here in germany i guy also had valve covers and intake
    manifold that said Shelby not Cobra.
    As far as i can remember these parts are no Shelby and no original
    Ford parts!!! These are just made like the originals but are nothing
    special in my opinion. For a clone i would have taken a pan with
    Cobra on it like it was and should be nothing else.

Bye Jerry

3. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

After Shelby and Ford parted ways (68-70) Shelby kept making aftermarket performance parts. Carroll had sold the rights to the Cobra name to Ford and could no longer make parts with the name.

I have Shelby performance parts catalogs per and post this change. Same parts but early ones have Cobra, later have Shelby.

4. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

While not being Concours correct, nor factory installed, the "Shelby" labeled parts are still valuable pieces. Many cars were modified "2nd day" after being bought. Those Shelby parts helped an owner get real quality parts.

5. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

hueycobra,

Actually, you bought a very nice piece. Its from the over-the-counter Shelby Parts division. These parts were marked "Shelby" because Shelby had already sold the Cobra name to Ford. Hence, he could not market any parts with the Cobra logo.

Currently, Shelby Parts and Restoration, in Green Bay, WI. has listed in their
    inventory, one of these Shelby oil pans for $1000.00. Not cheap. So you have a rather pricey piece. Lucky you.

Just for your information; this oil pan only holds about 6 1/2 quarts of oil. This was explained and demonstrated by Rick Kopec some time ago, in an
    article he wrote in one of the Shelby American Automobile Club magazines.

shlby66

6. voodoo9020

voodoo9020 New Member

Agree!