Join Shelby Forums Today

Carroll Shelby Brings Ford GT40 Back to Life

Discussion in 'Shelby News Forum' started by rshelby, Jun 13, 2008.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Carroll Shelby Brings Ford GT40 Back to Life

If you've always wanted to own a slice of Ford history with the Le Mans-winning GT40, but missed out on the modern-day Ford GT version, here's another chance. For his 85th birthday, Carroll Shelby (of Cobra fame) will be offering a replica of the GT40, built right to the original specifications. The car, offered as a rolling chassis, doesn't include an engine, but comes with finished bodywork and leather-trimmed interior. Shelby is offering the vehicle in left and right hand drive, and in street and track versions, the latter equipped without air conditioning, but with a fuel cell and a roll cage.

For those in doubt of the accuracy of this replica, Shelby's GT40 comes with identification which registers it as a “newly manufacturer” version of the original GT40. In addition, 90-percent of the parts used are interchangeable with the original version, and the only key notable difference is the use of a new Shelby-certified engine, as well as galvanized sheet steel for the body.
    Modern-day suspension components from H&R and Bilstein, plus brakes from Willwood allow the GT40 replica to excel on the road or on the track.

Shelby will build only 255 examples in three different colors, each of which is related to a Le Mans racer. A total of 85 will be painted in black with white stripes, 85 red with white stripes, and 85 in Arcadian Blue, the light blue synonymous with the famous Gulf-liveried racer.

Although pricing has yet to be finalized, it won't be cheap, ensuring this modern-day replica will be a future rarity and classic collector item.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/news/carroll-shelby-brings-ford-gt40-back-to-life/5685/

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

3. rossgt

rossgt Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what shell they are using for the body. It appears to be the Superformance Body. It would make sense due to development and tooling costs.

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Here's a photo I took in Vegas...

[​IMG]

5. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it is a Superformance. Hot Rod TV (I think it was Hot Rod TV) did a piece on these cars last March.

6. rossgt

rossgt Well-Known Member

I have the same photo as I did see the car in Vegas also. I was just wondering if it began as a Superformance base. It was pretty impressive.

7. vintageupgrades

vintageupgrades Member

8. rossgt

rossgt Well-Known Member

Thank you sir.