Join Shelby Forums Today

GT500 stalls at stop lights/signs

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Oregon Shelby, May 28, 2008.

1. Oregon Shelby

Oregon Shelby Well-Known Member

Hey great suggestion. I decided to have a lesser aggresive cam installed, correct torque converter. My car is being diagnosed this week as I write this. I will relay the information that you sent me though. Apparently the carbs were popping in third gear when they called me last Friday. Clearly the carbs need major tuning. I sent my carbs to Pony Carbs. They tested this on their engine. I am thinking that their engine was a highly modified engine compared to mine. Again, thanks for the info

brian-

2. geez428

geez428 Member

not knowing all the symptoms if your car is manual it seems that your float bowls may be adjusted too low, if it is automatic and nthe float levels are good I would look a the torque as it may be locking up and the tranny is stalling the motor

3. Oregon Shelby

Oregon Shelby Well-Known Member

Question, how can you tell if the torque is locking up? What indication would I get outside of the tansmission stalling (which might be the answer)? Lastly what would cause a torque converter to lock? Not placed in properly? I may up trying a toploader down the road. I appreciate you responding to my question. I have chatted to several owners of 428 FE engines who carry the C6 and they seem to not have problems like my car. I have done most of the work on this car myself except for the rebuild. I have paid several big block mechanics look at my car and could not find a cure. This will be fixed in time

regardds,
    brian-

4. geez428

geez428 Member

Has happened to me in the past, torque was bad and transmission would lock up, thus stalling the motor while on the brake. Check your carb again the power valve may be wrong one

5. corbins

corbins Active Member

Brian, how long have you owned the car? Do you know its history? do you know of all/any modifications done? If you have set the carb float levels correctly, checked for and corrected any vacuum leaks, adjusted the curb idle carb settings, etc then I can tell you from experience that you probably have a bad converter. I got a bad brand new one once. I spent 2 full summer seasons chasing these exact symptoms and spent way too much trying to correct "possible" causes. The converter was just not dis-engaging at low rpms and stalled at every traffic light. This caused the car to act as if it were over-heating.
    Good luck and let us know how you correct the issue , ok?

6. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

At least since May 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM

When this thread was originally started :eek: