Join Shelby Forums Today

Phil - 1965/1966 hipo mounts

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by pscalise, May 25, 2008.

1. pscalise

pscalise New Member

Hey all. I've been searching for info on 65/66 hipo mounts. I have a 66 K fastback that came with the rare hipo vertical pin type, and I purchased everything off of a late 66 (horizontal bolt type) to convert them, but they won't line up. The frame inboard of the a frames has the three holes, and I utilized the obvious two to make the newer style mounts work, but they won't drop on and line up. I haven't been able to find anything indicating that the newer style wouldn't be compatible with my car. Is it a problem having the three hole frame pattern and trying to make the later two hole frame mounts sit correctly? I've been a mustang guy for 30 years but never ran into this.
    Any help would be appreciated. Great board! thanks.
    pscalise99@hotmail.com

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Re: Phil

When you bought the Later Model Engine Mounts, did you buy the Frame Mounts as well?

David.

3. pscalise

pscalise New Member

yes, I have the newer type frame mounts to accept the 'U' saddle from the mount on the engine. I just checked the date code of the car, and its 09L, so from what I can tell, it was no where near the old pin type configuration, date-wise. ...so why do I have the three hole configuration on the frame? If the cross member weren't in the way, I could rotate the frame side mount up to a steeper angle, and possibly get them to work. I'll try that today. I just don't remember every having this type of problem : )
    thanks,
    phil

4. pscalise

pscalise New Member

Update - from"11/65 to 1970" style mounts on the motor side are interchangeable left to right, and I've verified the part numbers. The frame mounts are side specific and appears to be where my issue is. When the motor side mounts are place on the frame side mounts, the bolts should be vertical (at 90 degrees to the holes in the block) but aren't. It seems the angle of the frame mounts is incorrect. The only thing I've found is that some 1967 mounts are different, but I can't seem to verify in what way. The frame side mounts I purchased on ebay were in fact 67's. I'd like to find another set of 66's to compare mine to (or 68-70's) in case I have these odd ball 67's. I'm still just baffled.
    Phil

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

6. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

VERY NICE CAR...............................:thumbsup:

David.

7. pscalise

pscalise New Member

Thanks Coralsnake! Unbelievable pics, what a great spread. Those are the 65 special hipo mounts. Mine take the 66 newer saddle type. I'd like to see another set of 66 saddle type frame mounts someplace just to compare them to mine. Still putting them in and taking them out and trying to figure out why my geometry isn't working : )
    ps