Join Shelby Forums Today

65 rear seat delete shelf install

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by duettodude, May 15, 2008.

1. duettodude

duettodude Member

Hi guys, recently bought a rear shelf from Cobranda (65 version). I'd appreciate any advice on install, including tire bolt down and bolt,screw or rivet placement. I'm also thinking foam tape under the surround edge to lessen flex and squeaks. Thanks in advance........

2. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

Once you have most of your side fiberglass panels, your rear seat, trap door all out the next step is to lay it in. You may have to remove one or both of your seats. My car was bare when I put mine in. From the trunk you should be able to just barely see the spare tire mount, i just marked from the bottom with a china marker or paint pen.

Once you have that measurement, it's pretty straightforward to measure over to the shock mount holes.

as for the rivet holes, that should all be pretty obvious with the tray setting in your car.

My two cents worth.

3. duettodude

duettodude Member

Makes sense, I've got all the surround panels, trap door and seats out. I'm wondering if I'll have to fabricate some sort of carriage bolt holder for the tire bolt down or if there's something available. The amount of side give is very limited. The seat measured 41.25 with really no space between it and the side panels and I measured the rear shelf, it's also 41.25. Getting this shelf through the door and placing it inside should be fun without scratching anything. Thanks for the advice......it'll help

4. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

I use the NV SAAC site as a good visual go-by. The site has a lot of cars under restoration, thats where I found these images of the tire tie-down.

http://nvsaac.com/Shelby_registry/shelby_picture_registry.htm

You could fabricate one of these or use the one that is currently in your trunk, remove and re-weld. But to be correct here's some examples.

Attached Files:

5. duettodude

duettodude Member

Wow, Thank You thats super helpful. Plus the website link will help me with alot of my other concerns. A picture really is worth a thousand words, thanks again.

6. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

I did several in 65 clones we used to build, always had an e-z time with the Branda shelfs, but none of the other manufacturer's dealers.

7. DanBabb

DanBabb New Member

Bringing this old thread back for some needed advice.

I'm using the 65 style shelf in my car.

What do you guys use to support the weight of the spare tire? I have a gap of around an inch between the floor and the shelf and want to have some added support so the shelf doesn't sag over time from the weight of the tire.

The floors were all new in my car, so I don't have any of the brackets in place that the rear seats mounted too.