Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 Shelby Vin Tags And Scuff Plates?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by 67shelbygt500, May 13, 2008.

1. 67shelbygt500

67shelbygt500 Well-Known Member

Hay there
    i heard that carroll shelby has now ordered the producing of the scuffs plates and under hood vin tags to be stopped. i dont no if this is true and dont no the reasons as to why he has stopped producing them(if its true) but i can guess its because of to many fakes and frauds.
    Just woundered if any one new any information on this subject
    Hope you all have a pleasant day
    all the best
    Dave:)

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Mr Lawsuit is about 30 years too late, no? Glad I bought a spare last month of the vin plate. Don't think I'll ever use it but it was a "just in case" purchase.

3. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Have you put the two plates side by side?
    any difference in detail, size?

Mike

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

This is one area I would rather seen NOT discussed in a open forum were people with unhonorable intentions have access to this particular sensitive info as well as those with honorable intentions . We have seen information on repro items gleaned from this forum used against our fellow enthusiasts . It was bad enough when the info and words Vern used in explaining the differences about a repro 66 owners manual were used to add substance in a deceptive way to a repro Shelby manual by a ebay seller on his auction. That seller occasional frequents this forum. I would hate to see the same thing happen in the case of a more sensitive and important Shelby VIN tag. I'm glad the plates are different it makes them easy to pick out. Bob

5. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Bob,
    You are right, I should have stated that differently.
    What I should have said was "if you just bought it, I bet if you put it next to the original, you will see it is not the same"
    There are quite a few vendors selling the "Shelby Vin plates", including one that actually states in his ad that they have had them since the 70's - implying, of course, that it must be legit - and they are no where near close.
    Has anyone chastised the seller who twisted Vern's words?

Mike