Join Shelby Forums Today

original carrol shelby valve covers

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by 65FASTBACKMAN, May 4, 2008.

1. 65FASTBACKMAN

65FASTBACKMAN New Member

hi, i'm new to this and not sure how everything is done but i bought a 65 fastback mustang and with it came some carrol shelby valve covers that have the shelby insignia on it as well as breather caps on each cover and a carrol shelby stamping that says "cs83" on both covers. i was wondering what these valve covers came on originally (i heard they were off an R model shelby???), and how much something like these would be worth. thanks everyone -blair

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

I think what you are talking about are the "over the counter" products Shelby offered during the late 60's early 70's. Do you have a picture of what you have?
    [​IMG]
    The image is the new reproduction but the older style has CS Shelby lettered the same. I couldn't find a image of the originals.

3. steveshelbymustang

Exactly what I thought. The breathers were a add on. I am guessing the plate is a cover made to cover another breather cutout. These are from the period I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately the breathers devalued the covers. I know those breathers are still a collectible item should you desire to part them, say on ebay!!! The photo I posted was all I could find to show the design of CS Shelby name on the covers. I did not mean for the photo to represent what you have. I kinda knew what you were speaking about in your original question. They didn't come on "R" models. Sorry those models were built long before your covers were.

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

They did not come on a R model. The R Models and Trans Am cars of the period used modified sheetmetal valve covers. Shelby didn't start putting his name on after market products until mid 67 when he sold the Cobra name to Ford which forced him to mark the products he sold through his distribution network with Shelby. The items sold through Ford continued to be marked with the Cobra trademark name. At least you know they were made after mid 1967 . I am not sure but it seems like I have seen vintage pictures of something like them with the added breathers used on drag cars of the period. I hope this helps .

5. 65FASTBACKMAN

65FASTBACKMAN New Member

the tags with the numbers on them aren't covering up any holes or anything... did the shelby valve covers not come with the breather caps like what are on mine?

6. steveshelbymustang

Breathers are not Shelby. They were as Bob mentioned added to race cars of the era. R motors looked like this[​IMG]

7. guntrucker

guntrucker Member

Does anyone know the original manufacturer of the closed letter cobra valve covers? They were installed on some shelbys and also sold over the counter at for dealers. I had it written down but lost it. Several people have told me buddy bar but i know that's wrong. I also know it wasn't offenhauser. I think the name may have started with a "t" but i'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

8. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Ansen .

9. guntrucker

guntrucker Member

Ahhh, thank you so much. I mistakenly thought it started with a "T" so I wasn't even close. Yes, I remember the name now. I have searched the Internet for weeks trying to find that name. Thanks again, Mr Gaines, I really appreciate it.

James