Join Shelby Forums Today

69 fender help

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by shotgun, Apr 22, 2008.

1. shotgun

shotgun Active Member

I am getting close to getting my 69 on the road & have a question:

I stripped the undercoating from the inside of the fenders during restoration. Am I asking for trouble running the car with no undercoating? This will be a driven car, don't want to risk damaging the fiberglass from being hit from the underside by a rock, but I hope there is something better to use than spray on undercoat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Have you thought about "Rino Spray In Bed Liner"? They can Spray it as thick as you want and if you cut it, it will heal itself.

David.

3. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi ! Just a possible solution for the inside/underside of a fender.Use the same thin foam that is used for diving suits (aka wet suit)It is light weight,and can be cut to an exact fit,then glued or held in place with velcro or 2 sided tape.This will also allow easy removal for cleaning or when it is show time,and will prevent rock or ? damage.This should be available in a variety of places,I think maybe an army surplus type store was able to supply us with some...Many aluminium bodies have been preserved with this method.

Hope this helps !!:):thumbsup:

4. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Yes your running a risk ... but then again its not just your fenders you are risking with all the possible things to worry about.

I would not suggest anything too permanent (like the truck bed stuff). Anything like that will never come off the front fenders. You could always just undercoat them again if you’re more concerned with driving than looks.

Sorry no real good options, just some concerns. Never been asked this one before ;)

5. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

You might try the clear flexible protective sheet they put on high end motor coaches;not the cheap white crap,this is thicker,cut to fit,and removable with a heat gun.believe its call richochett(sp?).
    steele

6. shotgun

shotgun Active Member

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming!

7. 2dragpac500converts

2dragpac500converts Well-Known Member

Lord fusor makes a sprayable sound deadener. I have a gun i use to spray this stuff to duplicate the factory texture on the inner 1/4s and wheelhouses. It comes in a caulk tube but when sprayed thru this gun looks very good and will resist those chips from those gravel roads you cruise.

8. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I glued a foam pad to the bottm side of the aluminum fenders on my 289 Cobra and the same to the thin acid dipped steel fenders of my 68 Shelby TA car. It isn't permenent enough that you couldn't rip it off if needed. Bob

9. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the foam added to the underside of the fenders (front and rear on Cobras) is a pretty common practice among the Cobra crowd weather it be replica or genuine.