Join Shelby Forums Today

Goodyear Polyglas GT tire codes

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by Ranger Jerry, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Ranger Jerry

Ranger Jerry Well-Known Member

I recently was given a Goodyear Polyglas GT tire that is in very good shape and while cleaning it, I was curious if someone could decode the date code or production number on the back of the tire? MBT8 DLA251
    Thanks Ranger Jerry

2. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

There is a current thread on date codes at:
    http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/...teresting-marking-original-speedway-tire.html

The old Goodyear system doesn't seem to work for your tire. I found this on the net for pre-2000 tires at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

The Tire Identification Number for tires produced prior to 2000 was based on the assumption that tires would not be in service for ten years. While they were required to provided the same information as today’s tires, the week and year the tire was produced was contained in the last three digits. The 2 digits used to identify the week a tire was manufactured immediately preceded a single digit used to identify the year.

I am thinking that would put MBT8 DLA251 with a build date of the 25th week of 1981 since the old 7-digit system was stil in place in 1971.

3. JAD

JAD Member

I have an nos Goodyear Polyglass that I am trying to figure out the date code on.The #s on the tire are 8 13 L and MFLD Y45347.Any help on decoding would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

4. Don H.

Don H. New Member

5. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

Fantastic info, DonH. Welcome to the Shelby Forum!