Join Shelby Forums Today

looking for shelby hood scoop

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by my07clone, Apr 14, 2008.

1. my07clone

my07clone Member

I am working on a car with/for my son and am looking for the authentic Shelby hood scoop for a 2007 GT - the one with the "fake" mounting bolts around the edge. Does anyone know where I can buy one? We tried our local Ford dealer but they had no idea.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I think you mean the Shelby GT scoop?

[​IMG]

3. my07clone

my07clone Member

yes thats the one

I know a lot of people think that one is tacky but my son and I like that one for some reason

4. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I heard that you can only get one with a work order and a vin from an original Shelby GT. I don't know for sure though.:confused:

5. my07clone

my07clone Member

I thought there could be a chance that is true. If that's the case I will just settle for whatever looks the closest possibly with no drilling.

6. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

With no Drilling? I have bad news for you.........That 2007 Shelby GT Hood Scoop Rivits on. All of those little silver dots around it in the Photo are Rivits. That is a LOT of tiny Holes to be drilled in the Hood. Several Mustang Parts Suppliers do offer the 1965 - 1966 Hood Scoop as a "Bolt On" or a "Bond On".

David.

7. my07clone

my07clone Member

oh, someone told me those were fake around the edges

do you know where I can buy a similar copy - prefer bond not bolt

8. rnoggle

rnoggle Member

9. my07clone

my07clone Member

thanks I will watch that one closely

on our car I put down a vinyl stripe kit, blue base with white stripe

with the rivets on that scoop do you think I can lay down vinyl again?

or will I have to paint it to match?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  10. rnoggle

rnoggle Member

The scoop is originally painted silver with a body color vinyl stripe down the center.

I think it would be pretty hard to lay vinyl down over the scoop to match the car. Probably a whole lot easier to get the scoop pinted to match the car. The "rivit" heads are painted also.

11. tesgt350

WOW, I did not know that. They did a good job faking it......:laf: Now I know what they are talking about with the Scoop Problems (lifting on the edges).

David.

12. tesgt350

For a "No Drilling Needed" Hood Scoop go to Ebay and type in "Mustang Hood Scoop" and you should find a few to choose from like these..........

David.

Attached Files:

13. rnoggle

rnoggle Member

Yeah, when I sit in the drivers seat, I can lookthru the winshield and see daylight between the rear edge of the scoop and the hood. Not as bad in the warm weather as it is in the cold. Also on the drivers side of the scoop, it is lifting about 1/8 inch, right in the middle.

14. tesgt350

Is the Scoop made of Injection Molded Plastic or is it Fiberglass?

David.

15. tesgt350

Maybe it would be better to drill out the "FAKE" Rivits and actually Rivit the scoop to the Hood using the same Holes.

David.

16. rnoggle

rnoggle Member

The problem with that is that the hood itself is a thinner, weaker material (aluminum) than the scoop (thick plastic). Instead of pulling the scoop down tight, it causes the hood to distort.

Shelby supposedly is working on a new scoop for the SGT as a warranty replacement. They aren't having much luck getting anything finished though.

17. stump_breaker

stump_breaker New Member

The first gen scoop is held on with 8 bolts underneath. Four are hid by the blanket. The second gen scoop has the two front fake rivets (which are actually just bolts that have been trimmed) replaced with two long bolts through the hood. The "final fix" as of now (per Amy it may not be) is to remove the fake rivets and actually rivet the scoop to the hood. Mine looks great.

If you want my scoop I'll give it to you.......

.......in exchange for a KR hood painted, striped and installed on my car! :alarm:

18. Shelby07GT

Shelby07GT New Member

The rivets are not "FAKE" like everyone says they are. the 07 and 08 Shelby Shelby Gt Mustangs all have exactly 25 aluminum rivets that hold the scoop to the hood. In 07 there was a recall on the scoops and if you took your scoop off and sent it to Shelby American they would send you a new scoop covered under the recall. And the only way you could do that is by proof of ownership (Vin# & Registration) And you also needed to register your 2007-2008 Shelby GT with Shelby American. And only then could you get a replacement scoop for around $170. I always thought the rivets were FAKE too until I bought my 07 with an aftermarket Cervinis Ram Air KR Style Hood. Because I got the original hood with the car minus the scoop. Which I am looking at as I type this..good luck