Join Shelby Forums Today

Gone but not forgotten - 1968 GT350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by shelby68gt500, Apr 7, 2008.

1. shelby68gt500

shelby68gt500 Well-Known Member

First off, my apologies to all who frequent the different Shelby sites for the repetition. Recently met a Chief Warrant Officer in our fabulous USCG who happened to notice all the Shelby images popping up on my screensaver. He told me a story (fully believe it to be true) about the Shelby GT350 he had back in the early 80's that was stolen and never recovered. I had asked if he had any pictures or records of this car. He stated that he still did have some documents and pictures, but would have to dig them out of storage. Just received this information today and wanted to get it out there for that ever-so-slight chance that someone may know something. The car was #00228 and was stolen in Mobile, Alabama back in 1981. I'm hoping I'll be able to upload an image of the car and partial title, but if it doesn't show up here anyone can email me at shelby68gt500@hotmail.com and I'll email it to you. I recently heard of a 1965 Mustang that was recovered after being missing for over 40 years, so I guess that anything is possible. Thanks All!

Attached Files:

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Re: Gone but not forgotten

The 1998 SAAC registry says: "GT 350, shipped to Milo Brooke Ford, Chicago IL,12/18/67, Invoiced 1/11/68, present owner Richard Collet"

And, the 1987 SAAC registry states "Dual serial number car car. currently has 17Kmiles" Looking further into it, Richard Collet is the listed owner there too.

So, I wonder if the fellow accepted the insurance settlement, otherwise, he ought to call the SAAC registrar.

3. shelby68gt500

Roddster, Thanks for the information. I've passed it along. Not sure what his insurance situation was at the time, but just seems a bit odd that someone would knowingly register a stolen car, unless of course they didn't know or possibly used the "other" VIN on a dual S/N car. I'm very anxious to find out how this progresses. Bob

4. davej

davej Member

Hello,
    Bob,
    Thanks for turning me on to this site. I have spoken to a few people over the years,well since I got on line in 1997.
    When I still had the 350, it was my daily driver. I did not have theft insurance, so I never did settle. I claimed the loss on my taxes, first time I did anything but an EZ form.
    I will see what I can find out.
    Dave

5. shelby68gt500

Dave, Good to see you popped on here. Lots of really helpful people with lots of experience and knowledge. I'm really hopeful you can find out something about your car and with a little luck, maybe even get her back. Please keep us appraised of your progress, I'm sure there are people on this site that can assist as well. Bob

6. davej

davej Member

Sure will Bob,
    I hope I can get some help. I am sure the guy who bought it did not know it was stolen.
    I need to figure out how to find out about duel vins. I guess going back to ford might work for the mustang vin.
    I had always understood you had to buy a mustang then pay to get it turned into a Shelby. I am a novice so if I am wrong, please let me know.
    Anyway feel free to PM me with any thing you guys might have to help.
    Thanks
    Dave

7. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

1968 Shelbys were seperate models. If you want to read about the production process, I have some information on my website. Dual "serial numbers" is merely a term to describe the types of tags used during Shelby production. For a brief time, the plant used two serial numbers to ID the cars. This was later changed to a single number. I wrote an article that appears in the Shelby American World Registry. It describes dual serial numbers. You could not buy a Mustang and have it turned into a Shelby. Interesting the dealer information does not match up? I highly recommend you contact the Shelby Club and a lawyer before you proceed. Someones not going to give that up without a fight (I suspect)
    Talk about having a bad day, Richard is going to have one if all this pans out.....

:cigar:

www.thecoralsnake.com

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  8. davej

davej Member

You know over the years I had hoped to find my car, but actually played with the idea of selling the title on ebay, what makes a shelby, being able to enjoy it, legally. The car is somewhere and the guy that has it in his garage might be reading this thread, who knows.
    I wonder what it would be worth, this piece of paper?:confused:

9. davej

davej Member

I just read this article,
    http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/809
    I never settled, but I would like to say I am not greedy.
    I believe that my car is out there, and I think there are people that know where it is. They are not helping me.
    Here is where I am coming from, I believe legally the car is mine. If I go through all the legal motions, the holder and I spend a bunch of money on lawyers and I get my car back. I do not think the guy that has it knew it was stolen, but it was. I would love to have a SHelby, but at this time in my life, I do not have the money to have a 75-100K car, I have a bunch of other expensive hobbies.
    I would like a muscle car, a 69 or 70 mach 1. With that said, if the person who has my car wants to get a lawyer to contact me with a deal, I will be open to listen. I want to deal with the person who has spent the money on the car he has listed in the regestry. I do not want to deal with someone that thinks they will get my title and go after the Shelby.
    So there it is. All you Shelby owners can think wow, I am glad that was not me, I tell you I wish it was not me too.
    Dave

10. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

I dont know you or the individual that might or might not have your car....but i know what i would do if i was in your situation.
    I would hire an investigator to find the individual and the car, you have his name and maybe where he lives, start there.
    Once you get his number and address i would contact him either in person or with legal representation about this matter.
    If it is your car and you never settled with the insurance company i would take action.
    Getting on this forum and asking others to contact the individual and smooth it all out is wishful thinking.
    If i knew the car I wouldnt get involved because i wouldnt want to be around if this gets ugly.
    You need a title, a police report, a few hundred bucks for an investigator and some initiative to either get your car or some $$$ for the title.
    CARPRE DIEM!

11. Swiss_Made

Swiss_Made Member

I assume, my gt350 was build the same day:

8T02J126762-00237

Interestingly mine is not a dual serial number car.

12. shelby68gt500

Dave, Just happened across this thread again when I did a search on your VIN again ( I was looking thru all my 68 Shelby pics). Please update us on this, I know I'm still holding out hope that you get your car back!

Bob