Join Shelby Forums Today

64 Pace Car Story

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by vernonestes, Apr 5, 2008.

1. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

2. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Yes, interesting story. I find the 450 HP claim from a 289 a bit of a stretch, however. If I recall correctly, full race 289's from that era topped out at around 350 HP (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). And even if you could produce 450 HP, it wouldn't last that long. The bottom ends just weren't that strong. But if anyone could do it, I suppose it would be H-M.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  3. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Your right about the 289...i guess the cobras like the dragonsnake were said to be making 380 to 390....but that was with the help of webers.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

4. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Came across this picture of production pace cars and thought it was pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

The picture of all the coupes: There was a Fomoco sales contest and the cars were rewarded to the winners. I don't recall if it was car sales, or Mustang sales. Seemed to be one winner per sales district but I'm not sure of that. This is a lot of money in free cars to give away, so, were these given to the dealer at a discount or what?

The pace car: At the time, the winner of the race also received the pace car. Seems A.J.Foyt does not have the one he won, and, it has not been found. Is this "Weiss" car the one A.J won?

And finally: the pace car only needed to pace at 100 to 120 MPH, a 289 Hi-PO would be able to handle that. I do understand that there would be improvments to upgrade durability.

6. Helmantel

Helmantel New Member

Although it is possible to squeeze 450 HP out of a 289, that would be really high back in 1964 and it would rather require an "upgraded GT40 engine", rather than a detuned one as mentioned in the spec list.

Besides, in spring/early summer 1964 the Ford GT was just introduced and was still using a version of the 255 Indy engine.