Join Shelby Forums Today

original magnesium 10 spoke shelby wheels

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by jd70ssclone, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jd70ssclone

jd70ssclone New Member

i have a set of original (not repro )10 spoke 14in wheels in great condition just dirty what are they worth?? i am going to sell them thanks

josh

jd70ssclone@aol.com

2. mgreene

mgreene Active Member

I don't think original 10 spokes were magnesium, but aluminum. Might want to do a little research...

3. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

post some photos.

Z. Ray

4. migulitoraton85

migulitoraton85 Member

Your both right. A little. The original 10 spoke was an alloy. Not only mag and aluminum, but several different metals. That practice is the same today, just refined. A lot. Buy the way, the replicas made by the Carroll Shelby Wheels in the 80's were from the original molds. Found in the field behind the factory by, I believe, Bob Johnson (engineer) & Mike Killeen (sales mgr). There they sat, rusting away......They were brought back to life, but over the years were showing their age. Not sure what became of them, but Tony Branda would be a good guess.

5. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I have a set of the "second series" 10 spokes done by Shelby Wheels in the 1980's while they were making aluminum specialty rims for Chrysler vehicles. They were made in lots of 500 units after the various dealers collected enough orders. The last I heard was that when Wheels shut down, the mold was sold, to Dallas Mustang?, then to someone else due to limited continual demand. Anyone know who has the mold now with production rights?B)

6. migulitoraton85

migulitoraton85 Member

Your exactly right. We did have to wait until the orders were enough to warrent a run. Due to the condition of the molds, we had to run many more than what was needed in order to get enough. The mold shop was having a tough time keeping them viable. The wheel company, however, was sold to a large conglomerate in Omaha? I believe, then they shut it down. RShelby has the facts in a post somewhere. As to the molds, I'm not sure but can you say "Mustangs Unlimited"? That or the molds were deemed too far gone for further use, as was being discussed, and the sale made the point mute.