Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 Shelby Tach

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by grm, Mar 23, 2008.

1. grm

grm Member

Hi Shelby Members,...My tach (which was a reproduction) finally went terminal. I am looking for an original for a 1965 Shelby GT 350 as I understand that the new reproductions are poor. Does anyone out there know where I might be able to find one at a respectable price?

My email address is mayerfam@winfirst.com

Thanks for your help!

Greg

2. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

Rarely do the 65 tach's become available. Ebay has them from time to time but be prepared to pay thru the nose. Have a big pocket book and throw a bid at one that respectable does not apply will surely get you one!!! The originals have a problem where owners try to tighten the cup too tight breaking the contacts on the circuit board. The stem is soldered to the circuitry and will break if tightened to much, this is usually over looked when inspecting because the tension is relieved when the cup is off and the crack closes. Tightening the cup will open the circuit and not allow the tach to work. Just something to look for when working a 65 tach !! Good luck on finding a genuine AC tach.

3. grm

grm Member

Thanks Steve for the insight. I am now looking for an older reproduction Shelby tach as I think they are more in line cost wise. Whats your opinion of the new reproduction tachs vs the older ones. I understand that the new ones have plastic back and the front faces are not that good...I've heard that you can kind of see through them from the side view etc.

Greg

4. steveshelbymustang

I don't have any info on repo's. Only info I have is on the genuine article. My research is from hands on and I haven't had the opportunity to test anything reproduction. I am from the old school I guess!! Happy Easter

5. grm

grm Member

Thanks Steve,...I was hoping the Easter bunny would bring me an original '65 tach, but no such luck! I hate resorting to a repro tach, but finding an original at a realistic price seems unrealistic at this time. If you hear of anybody that has an original,...let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

6. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

Hello Greg,

In the past 7 months there were 2 original AC Delco 1965 GT350 tachs posted on ebay, one went for just under $1500.00 the other went for about 1150.00 in a dash pod w/ an incorrect oil pressure gauge. Both of them, the winning bidder was Craig Connelly from Paradise wheels (mcpaxtonman ebay name). I spoke with Craig, He is willing to sell one if needed for/to an original 65' GT350 owner. He want's an arm and a leg for one as expected. But he has the real mcCoy if needed. The reason I know I bid against him and lost. I also lost bids to him for a Weber C6FE manifold (2 of those as well). He seems to be stock piling the rare stuff. My temporary fix for an original looking 65 tach was to use a SW tach, disassemble a reproduction tach for the face, migrate it into the SW, fabricated a half round plastic ball and superglue it to the center of the needle cover, also sprayed the needle florescent orange, The look is okay, Can you tell I was bored and desprate for a tach? I'll post a photo of this when I get home later today. It's not bad, better than the repros from Branda or anyone else. Besides that painted on black dot in the center of the glass really looks like a repro

Good luck,
    Earl

7. 60's*dream*

60's*dream* Active Member

Okay here it is: see attached pics from today. It's fairly accurate for an electronic Stewart Warner tach. I had a speedo shop check the calibration. The original AC delco unit center needle cover is a little smaller in diameter than this, also in the photo is the SW face I removed.

~Earl

Attached Files:

8. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

There is an import tach from "sun" that will do great job as the tach internals
    (30 bucks +- )

The disc in the original Delco unit that covers the hole in the tach face is exactly the size of a US nickle ($.05)

I don't have a problem with the reality of an original tach costing thousands of dollars.. I have a REAL problem with a crappy fake costing 300.
    jimbo

9. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

An original 65 tach went for I believe $875 a couple of months ago.
    I bid it to $750. It was still in a Ford box. I had my original repaired
    by Clock Doc. and when I got it back, it didn't work because of the
    housing was over tightened. Sent it back and they fixed it.
    One thing they did is that the post for +12V was disconnected and the
    red isolation washer was removed. The power feeding is now made from the
    coil alone.
    A tip, my tach has fried twice due to spikes from the coil (original Ford)
    so now I have an inline 2A fuse on the red wire just behind the pod.
    Tach works excellently now. First repair was performed by MoMa and they
    put a German made circuit in it. It fried and they replaced it for free
    but it was fried again so I sent it to the Clock Doc.
    Texas Swede

10. sharpe427

sharpe427 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea on the inline fuse......

11. grm

grm Member

Thanks Earl! Man, you did a nice job! I've communicated with Conley, but he's way too high...$3,000! Bought a Baranda "early repro" and it looks pretty good.

Thanks for your input.

Greg

12. grm

grm Member

Earl,...Thanks...Don't know if my last email got through. I don't really understand how this Shelby "thread" deal works. I have spoken with Craig Conley...he's rediculously high...$3,000!!! Bought a "early repro" from Baranda and it looks pretty good.

Again, thanks for your help.

Greg

PS:...If I see a nice original in the $800 range, I'd probably buy it.

13. grm

grm Member

Hi Jimb0,...I'm replying to the private message...my car is # 5S456. If I could find an original at a resonable enough price, I'd buy and have rebuilt. I'll keep looking...meanwhile, the repro tach looks OK.

14. gt350andcompany

gt350andcompany Active Member

as of this morning there was one on Ebay. Not sure price or expiration time..

15. steveshelbymustang

16. Texas Swede

I don't believe this tach is original even though the
    ad says NOS. Why would he sell an NOS tach for
    $450. A deal that looks too good to be through
    generally is. Also, one picture that looks like crap.
    Texas Swede

17. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Very poor pic, tried blowing it up, it looks like a "painted glass face" repo.

Mike

18. wcampbell

wcampbell Active Member

I'm new to this thing....but I assume if the Tach has a painted black spot in the center of the lens it's a repop? What are the glaring signs of a "Non-original" tach? Please enlighten...

19. Koolpartz

Koolpartz New Member

DSC_0033.jpg DSC_0034.jpg DSC_0035.jpg

I just came across a 1965 Shelby tach, can anyone help find it the right home.

It does need a full restoration but the hard part is finding one.

20. Texas Swede

How much do you ask for it?
    Texas Swede