Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking for a certain 67 GT500

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by Jimmy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

Ok, this is a huge long shot, needle in a haystack, etc, but here it goes;

As the title states, I am looking for a 67 GT500 I owned in 1981-1982. I do not have the Ford vin# or Shelby vin#, hell back then we didn't even know they had a Ford Vin under that little aluminum tag or anywhere else and we didn't really care. I purchased this car from a guy named Chris Kaufman without a motor or trans and quite honestly it could have been a GT350 as well considering what a liar Chris turned out to be. What I do know is I spent almost a year of my life when I was 17 building the motor for this car. I built a 427 side oiler block with a 428 crank, making a 453 ci stroker. I used stock CJ exhaust manifolds and it had a sigle 4bbl on top of a PI aluminum intake. This car also had a 4spd top loader big in/out and a 31 spline 4:11 gear N case. Some odd items where the magstars, but they were the mercury mauraders and behind the trim rings were screws into the beads of the 10.5 McCreary Street Slicks which kept leaking air....go figure. Also, this car would have been an original white or parchment interior car as I remember changing it over to black and it had 1969 Mach 1 comfortweave high backs with the red stripe. The car was painted Dark Blue, but I couldn't tell you if this was the original color. The car had no stripes on top or on the sides as it had just been painted a year previously and I was focused and spending every dime possible on getting it on the road. Another distinguishing mark would be the Hurst Super Shifter 3 that I had to cut into the trans hump to make room for. I sold the car to a guy who claimed to be a collector and he came to my home at 9513 Casanes ave., Downey, CA to pick it up. It had the rear flat tires and they he would have trailered it.

I have started the paperwork with the DMV to see if I can get anywhere there but I'm not optimistic. I can't even remember if I had registered the car in my name. I was young and a grease monkey who was more focused on going fast than what my legal obligations may have been. I'm hoping to get the Shelby serial digits and get in touch with the current owner to see if he/she would like to sell. I know this is a real long shot but if anybody knows anything about this car or if that guy who purchased it recognizes the info please contact me, I really would like to know what came of my High School dream.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jim :D

2. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi to dude in Newport! Just a suggestion,have you looked for any pictures that you may have from back then?If you could find something that would give a license plate number...you will have a much better chance of finding this car.Maybe someone in one of the many L.A.area clubs could help .The best event to attend would be The Knotts Berry all Ford show,maybe somebody will remember a car bought in the same time frame.Good Luck,and keep us posted.:)

3. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

Good luck with your search. I am in Newport Beach as well and i would recommend contacting Dave Mathews, the 67 Registrar. He might have some history on the car but your going to need information to start from. Who owned it before you or after you? Where the car was sold new? Old pictures? Anything to find a starting place for your search. Best of luck.

4. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

Thanks for the replies. The sad truth is that the only picture I have of the car is a shot of the drivers rear corner as it sat in the garage while I was taking another picture of something else in the driveway. The picture doesn't include the plate area and I can't remember installing a plate on the car even I recieved one from DMV. Is there some sort of list of clubs that have forums like this? Also, does anybody ahve the date of the next Knotts show?

I have spoke to Dave re my current Shelby and he has been a great help with paperwork. The only hope I have with the car I owned back in the day is that the owner, freind of the owner or someone who rememebers a story about buying a 67 GT500 with a stroker and two flat tires for $5,500.00 sees this posting. I will keep my fingers crossed with respect to the DMV.

Thank you all, Jim