Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 GT 350 owners manual

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by david9295, Feb 13, 2008.

1. david9295

david9295 Member

how can i tell if my 66 gt 350 owners manual is original or a repro ?
    thanks
    david

2. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

It is really quite easy to tell if the sixty six manual is real or fake...
    Go to the middle of you brochure to the pages that show the full cutaway diagram of the car. On the upper right hand corner of the left page you will see the "Interior" paragraph. In that paragraph the word 'optional' appears at the end of the second line. The story goes that the first batch of 66 manuals were uninterupted and look completely normal in this paragraph. However, in the second printing of these manuals, for what ever reason, they made a copy of a manual with hole punches for this middle page. The hole punches are visible in the word 'optional' because the 'o' and the 'n' were punched out. In result, almost anything with a regular looking 'optional' is original while anything that has bolder 'o' or 'n' in optional is obviously a fake, the factory never filled the gap in but all the repo companys did. In result a manual could be real if nothing is filled in however, any lazy reprinter COULD have done the same thing, i have yet to see a reproduction that doesnt have the letters filled in.
    Also, a tell tale sign is when the pages can be cut unevenly or the solid blue stripes on the front and back are lighter or have anyfading in them. Also, i have seen many manuals that have a much less stiff cover material.

If you are buying the manual over the internet, i cant stress the importance of having a clear pic of the center enough. I see more people paying way too much for fake 66s than any other year.

I hope this helps,
    Vern

3. david9295

david9295 Member

Vern
    Thanks For All The Help On The Manual
    David

4. vernonestes

Hey, no problemoooo:)
    Vern

5. KF/HERTZ

KF/HERTZ Well-Known Member

66 Shelby Mustang GT350 Owners Manual Original currenty at $561 Feb.17th

item no. 250 215 573 297 or search exactly as described above.

Ends at 4:33 PM PST

So Girls and Boys unless you know what you are getting it can Be Expense so special THANKS to Randall for providing us with this Board and
    special Thanks to Vern for your accurate description and time to share this with all of us

Kenn eye need to get offline

6. vernonestes

Yep, you can clearly see a few darker letters in the "optional" in the interior paragraph!!!
    Awe, its just too easy!
    I am the kind of guy who would have probly contacted the high bidder to inform him of exactly what he is doing, however, since the seller has chosen to keep the auction private, preventing anyone from contacting or even knowing who really has the high bid, i guess we can truly understand the sellers motives.
    From twelve dollars to over 500, all thanks to greed...

Best Regards,
    Vern

7. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

Vern,

THANKS A LOT for the information! As an owner of a '66 GT350 I will probably try to buy an original Owner's Manual some day. Your information will be invaluable. I saved your post in a file on my computer for future reference.

Just so I'm clear on this, are you saying that it should be original if:

It has those two letters ("o" and "n") printed cleanly and in perfect match to the other type on the page. (First original printing.)

OR - There is a physical hole punched in this page removing those two letters. (Second original printing).

Is that right?

THANKS!
    Steve​

8. vernonestes

Yep, that is right.
    ALso, you might want to do the old smell test........we all know how old paper tends to smell after a while! Thats what i always do. If it doesnt smell old, that doesnt mean its fake, it just means that you should be all the more careful.

As for the manaul with just the hole, you still have to be careful about this one. Even though i have never seen or heard of a repop company leaving it blank, it is always a possiblity as it wouldnt be a hard thing to over look.

Best Regards,
    Vern

9. KF/HERTZ

Last time I checked this auction the price was at $561 last nite and had not met it's reserve.

It ended and has now been relisted again starting at $100 and still with a Reserve.

Caveat Emptor

Kenn

10. vernonestes

I talked to the seller through messages...told him it was a fake and he said he was going to do the honorable thing and end the auction.
    I guess he did......and then relisted for what he thought was appropriate for a fake!.....still no mention in the auction about it being fake of even the possibility of it being fake!
    Just make ya sick!
    Vern

11. KF/HERTZ

Thanks Vern,

It was good that you got a hold of him BUT you obviously did not get through to him

He has it relisted starting at $100 with a Reserve!

I'm really curious what his Reserve was/is!

I looked at his past Ebay feedback and saw that he recently sold a 66 Vette
    and thought to myself that maybe he has a vendetta goin against early Shelby owners

Kenn

12. KF/HERTZ

Good Job Vern,

As of 6:30 PM PST This Auction is off eBay.
    Still I am Amazed that at last bid of $561 it still did not meet his Reserve.Lucky for those bidders ehh

That's what makes this board so valuable

Thanks Randall

Kenn

13. skee1968

skee1968 Member

To All----the Auction Is Pulled And Not Relisted
    I Would Not Sell It If There Is A Problem---

14. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

In addition to what Vern nicely describes there is also a "punch mark issue" on the lower left side of the right page of the center section, near the staple. I have my original manual and a repop, will try to take some pics and post them here.

15. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to a good clear photos being posted here.. A few decent shots posted here could prevent fraud, heartbreak, and financial loss forever. The beauty of this forum, and the internet in general is it's ability to show BS when it happens. When everybody knows... everybody knows.. When only a few people know, the thieves will always run the show.

16. KF/HERTZ

Hey s2ms,

That would be a BIG Help ... Thanks

I saw that your cars history showed that it was originally owned by Sixties rock n roller Gary Lewis of GL and the Playboys.I am always interested in that stuff.FYI his big hit on the charts was "This diamond ring" early Beatles era.

stuck in the Sixties/Seventies Kenn

17. KF/HERTZ

Sometimes it is not intentional deception but rather a not being informed with what one is selling

The seller did immediately remove the item for sale off eBay.

I was just speechless at what some people are willing to pay for an original owners manual.Since I am not a concourse or show enthusiast it's not that important for me.A clean reproduction copy for under ten dollars is fine for me.

Kenn

18. vernonestes

Correct, but wasnt the one on the left page the only one that was filled in by repop companys?

ALso, in all fairness, the item was ended....however that was after it was relisted at a 100 dollar starting bid.

Best Regards,
    Vern

19. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Hi Ken,

When I first bought the car in 1987 GL was rumored to be the original owner. I didn't pay too much attention to this but as I located previous owners the rumor got stronger until I was finally able to contact him and he confirmed it.

I think a lot of us from that era are still stuck in the Sixties/Seventies.

Dave

20. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Vern, I believe the repop I have has the "hole" on the right side filled in also. I will dig both manuals out tonight when I get home from work and take some pics. Dave.