Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 GT 350 owners manual

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by david9295, Feb 13, 2008.

1. KF/HERTZ

KF/HERTZ Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    That's pretty cool stuff.
    BTW I like your Avator ... must be an Awefully fast car Lol

Kenn

2. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

That is kind of scarry considering that an old repop that i bought a few years ago for referance doesnt have the right hole filled....
    Just shows that repops are different......
    Best Regards,
    Vern

3. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Ok, here are the pics. In all cases of the image pairs my original manual is on the left and the repop is on the right. Hopefully the pictures show the differences, in person they are very clear, the details in the original are far superior. I tried to normalize the pics as much as possible so there wouldn't be a bias either way. Besides the obvious, one thing that also stood out to me is the "bleed through" print on the backside page was much more apparent on the repop. I don't know much history on the repop, I borrowed it from a friend to display with the car while the original is safely tucked away.

Attached Files:

4. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Thanks Kenn. The Avator is a pic of my actual tach that I just made an animated image of with a sweeping needle

5. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

WOW DAVE AWESOME WORK!
    GREAT PICS!
    Best Regards,
    Vern

6. KF/HERTZ

Great Pix Dave,

They should really help a lot us out now.

7. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

s2ms (Dave),

THANK YOU so much for the photos!

The time and effort you spent posting those is very much appreciated.

I have a repo manual that I purchased many years ago, and hope to find an original some day. The information you and Vern have provided will be invaluable.

Steve​

8. KF/HERTZ

Hi everyone,

I just received my new repo 1966 owners manual as the copy (repo) I bought in '87 is buried in my garage somewhere.Ok I'll blame it on our remodeling and everything is everywhere for now. lol
    The currrent version is definitely a repo as the wording (original) has darker lettering and even looks hand written on the letters o,r and i in the word original.If I find the older copy(also a repo) I'll pass on any more info.

Great Question for this forum. Great Job Everyone!

Kenn

PS the new repo copy was purchased thru Mustangs Unlimited at $6.50 and was not advertised as an original

9. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Thanks for this info. I have an original '66 manual that I have had since 1966. I know it is original because a buddy "borrowed" it from the new car in '66 while we used to sit in them on the dealers floor. I have kept it in PERFECT condition since 1966. I am now restoring a car to go with it...finally after 45 years I can reunite the two!

Thanks again.

10. SFM6S087

Way to go, Kingchief! Congratulations on now having a car to go with that manual. Most people do it the other way around, but your way makes a better story. How about starting a new topic and posting some pics as your restoration progresses?

Steve

11. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Thanks Steve.

The car has been undergoing restoration since last May. She is REALLY beginning to look beautiful. She had been in storage for many years and we took her down to the bare metal...complete media blasted. Original engine completely rebuilt to new. It would make a good story. I do have plenty of before and after photos. If only I knew how to post!!! LOL! Also, I have never physically seen the car as I spend half my time working in Africa...really.

12. SFM6S087

I guess you can tell from my user ID that I own 6S087. Would you mind telling us which car you have? Are you saying that you bought it sight unseen? This is really getting interesting.

Steve

13. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Hi Steve,

Yes, I bought her sight unseen! Crazy yes but I did have her checked out by a reputable source and the restoration is being performed by the same. I just want to reunite her with my original owner's manual and Ford high performance book that came in '66 Shelbys. They have been protected in a drawer indoors for 45 years. All I will need is a Mustang owner's manual to complete the set.

I have attached a few photos with last weeks progress. We started this last summer!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

14. SFM6S087

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like some real quality work going on there. And it looks like they are pretty far along. Please keep us updated as your car goes together. I think one of the best things about these forums is getting to share in projects like this.

Steve

15. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Latest pictures of restoration...after one year she is getting there!!!

Attached Files:

16. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

FYI, here a few pictures of BEFORE!

Attached Files:

17. SFM6S087

The current pictures look great! Please post more whenever you get a chance.

The "before" pictures show a pretty nice car to start with. Congrats again on your purchase.

Would you mind telling us which car this is? All I can tell from the pics is that it is somewhere between SFM6S253 & SFM6S919.

Thanks,
    Steve

18. Kingchief

Kingchief Member

Original engine completely rebuilt and dyno tested. See photos after media blasting, metal work and final paint over the course of 7-8 months.

She will be indeed "over the top" but very NICE. Originally a stripe delete car with plain steel wheels but I fealt she should have the stripe and Cragars. ALSO, original style Blue Dot bias ply tires! COOL!

Attached Files: