Join Shelby Forums Today

Why doesn't CS bring back the Series 1?

Discussion in 'Shelby Limited Editions' started by tesgt350, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

He could use the Ford 4.6 / 5.0 / 5.4 / 5.8 Engine. I think using GM Drivetrain was not the best idea. It is a great looking Car and I believe that if it had a Ford Drivetrain, it would have been a huge seller. Also, who gets to Register the Series 1 Cars?
    David.

2. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." :blink: ;)

I think there are considerable legal obstacles for Shelby to revisit that "venture." :p

There was an aborted attempt a while ago, if I remember, to try a Series 2... but that never got off the pad.

3. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

I would disagree that the GM powerplant was a bad idea. The Aurora V-8 was a great engine. However, Oldsmobile was being phased out at the time of the Series 1. The Cadillac Northstar would have been a better powerplant choice.

robin

4. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Well, if it had to have a GM Drive Train then, the LS series V8's would have been better...... More Power Adder options.
    David.

5. BigAl

BigAl Member

He used the Olds Aurora V8 because it had a serious racing tie-in at the time. The Indy cars used the Aurora motor for their powerplant for a few years, and Carroll liked the fact that it was the most high tech power plant in his eyes. Now it didn't hurt that GM was willing to allow Shelby's designers to dip into the parts bins for stuff like windshields, radios gauges, A/C controls.

6. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Eric Davison's book tells the whole story

The book is called Snake Bit
    In the book Davison tells how one part of GM helped Shelby but then other
    parts of GM would freeze him out, not letting him use the parts he wanted, like Corvette suspension arms. GM was always worried Shelby would worm his way in and topple the Corvette, going back to '58 when Shelby had three Corvettes re-bodied in Italy.

Still I've heard it would be more desirable to traditional Shelbyisti with a Ford engine. I wonder which Ford engine would fit--it might have to be at least a liter larger to make up for the unanticipated weight gain the car got between its first incarnation and the production version...