Join Shelby Forums Today

Barn Find (So to speak)

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mbrouder, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mbrouder

mbrouder Member

I'm new here. The reason I'm posting is that there is a car just sitting behind a factory near me that is driving me insane. It's a 67 GT350. I discovered it back in '04. From ten feet it appears very rust free. That's as close as you can get to it. I offered the owner $30k for the car and he thought about it for 3 days, then called me and declined the offer. I drove by again on Saturday and saw that the car is still there. I'd like to take one more crack at it. Is $30k way to low for this car? Assuming it's all there, what do you guys think? I believe I'm too new to post pics. Can email them for someone else to post. The car is near O'hare airport, anyone else here know of it?

2. 1175

1175 Well-Known Member

Without much more info, I believe 30K is pretty low. It could be easily worth 50K, and some may pay more than that. Be careful how much info you share on a public forum, unless you want somebody else to find it.
    Jon

3. mbrouder

mbrouder Member

I'm certainly not going to mention where the car is, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone on this board already knows about it. It's not very well hidden, and a car like this tends to attract attention. The overgrowth is gone now and I believe at least one cat is living up under the hood. This is the only pic I have at work.

Attached Files:

• 1234.jpg
      1234.jpg
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  4. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

Looks good. Now you'll get all those New Yorkers hot and bothered. Is that dark green or black?

Offer 35 or ask him for a number..

5. mbrouder

mbrouder Member

It's black. Here's the pic I took Saturday.

Attached Files:

6. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

looks like an awesome find. I paid over 50k for mine (i paid to much) and it was totally taken apart and stuffed in boxes when i got it home. He has probably been offered money before. The "offer" method wont work. You go to the bank, get a registered check in the guys name and present it to him at the door. Money in hand and in view of the seller works allllll the time. If he stills says no..then you will know for sure. Oh and make sure its real before cutting the check.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  7. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Not that this proves anything but, every clone I have ever seen has inboard high beams and the "bowed" hood sure tipical of an original. Still, before handing over a check verify both vins with SAAC. Good luck.

8. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

If I was in your position I woud take Jim's advice. I've received that very same advice from a few people who have been succesful in getting a car in a similar situation. It's harder to say no when you're looking at a check with all those zero's. Also make the offer contingent on verification of authenticity with the SAAC registrar, which shouldn't be a problem. Finally, don't waste any time. If I were you, I would move very quickly now that people have an idea of where it is. I would go nuts if I knew about that car and had someone else swoop in and get it for $35K or $40K.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.

Josh

9. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

Go get green folding cash;a check can be printed off any POS computer;plus 10 G in bengis looks like a HUGE amount.Take a very large quiet friend to protect your interest and don't look at it with rose colored glasses;Its tin and tires;look with your head not your heart(wish I had taken this advice)get any agreement in writing and take possesion immediately;too many times a deal has gotten screwed by convo when you thought it was in the bag,loose lips sink ships!clam up and quit yapping about this until its in your garage.
    steele

10. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

This looks as though someone is getting back at someone that won't pay the storage bill at that warehouse. My guess there is a title owned by someone that can't pay the enormous storage bill and another who is trying to force the title to be turned over to whoever owns this warehouse. Bad situation all around.

11. SFM6S006

SFM6S006 Well-Known Member

As I´m pretty new to these 67´s, could you explain this for me? Most cars you see for sale all look pretty perfect, but would this hood bow be considered good?

Thank you
    Anders

12. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago, a black with gold striped 67 Gt 350 was used as a fund raiser for some medical thing. I do not recall the medical condition. And, it was taken by a local guy to various car in the area shows to sell raffle tickets...at $50.00 a pop. It was won by somebody local, so, this might be this car. Makes sense, as the show I was at, when this car eas there, was in the north suburbs of Chicago.
    They didn't make any in 67 , black with Gold lemans stripes. The car was a color change from blue. Don't recall that grill though.
    In Illinois, if you don't pay the storage fee, and signed the contract, the locker owner can get a lien on the car, up to and including ownership.
    AI think $30,000 is a little low. This might end up in the $50,000 to $70,000 range.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Anders,
    My 67 in Sweden had the same problem so I had two
    lighter springs made and put some heavy phone books
    on the hood over the winter months. Since then the hood
    sits pretty flat. It's not cool with a bowing hood.
    Texas Swede

Attached Files:

14. mbrouder

mbrouder Member

Interesting. This car is not at a storage facility. The guy he works for lets him keep it there. He doesn't have a garage at his house.

15. Tango Classic

Tango Classic Member

Hi: If this is the car I think it is, it's a 67 FB that's dressed up as a GT 350.

If you want to personally get ahold of me I'll give you the address I have.

Bret

bret@shelbymustang.com

16. mbrouder

mbrouder Member

I sent you an email.

17. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

+1 to all the above. Money talks. $10K in cash for a down payment looks like a LOT of money and it is tangible. Have a buddy in the car with a 12 gauge. Do NOT give him any money until you have verified both VINs.

Don't want to discourage you but the odds are about 25:1 that it is a clone.

18. MRP_GT-350

MRP_GT-350 Well-Known Member

Agreed, and like its been said before, if this car is in fact a #'s matching gt350 then 30k is definitely a little on the low side

19. mbrouder

mbrouder Member

Update. I had a dream about this car the other night. Drove by this morning, the car and the business are gooooone.