Join Shelby Forums Today

Ken Miles in Comstock Cobra?

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Dec 20, 2007.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I thought Ken Miles only drove Cobras for Shelby American.
    But someone asked me if I saw a picture of him driving the Comstock Cobra?
    I only know the Comstock team for the GT40 they had , which they crashed, killing the driver. It was a Canadian team. Does anyone know what color the Comstock Cobra is, whether it was a 289 or 427 and whether Miles first drove it as a Shelby team car and then it was sold to the Comstock team?

2. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

I've read CSX2002 was sold to Comstock after it was raced by Miles. But I've also seen Ken driving a white Cobra with a Maple leaf, I'll try to find and scan the image.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  3. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Wally's question was already answered on Club Cobra. Mile drove #50 for Comstock
    [​IMG]

4. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

photo attached, from the Art Evens book, Ken Miles

Attached Files:

5. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

My father's neighbour was a mechanic on the Comstock Racing Team.He has shown me some old photos and ticket stubs that he has stored in an album.Some great photos including a clients '66 427 Cobra that he brought home to tune up.He told me that when their driver was killed in the GT40,they brought what was left of the car home in a basket.I was also told that this is why Comstock got out of racing.

6. bitzman

Why would they sell it?

Was this also the former George Eaton car, of Eaton's Department Stores?

I am a little disappointed that Shelby would have sold Comstock the
    car when it was still raceable but I guess Ford wanted them
    damn big block Cobras outa there so Shelby could concentrate on Ford GTs.
    A historian e-mailed me a picture yesterday of this model , pointing out that the Canadian maple leaf, was green on the actual race car. I am a little disappointed that the model car company didn't think that getting the correct colors of the race team livery was that important. (and that's a model car company that usually has pictures of the actual race car pictured with their model on their website) Once you start messin' with history, it gets all out of control, like the Chinese-made 427 Cobra model I bought the other day that was mounted on a little plastic platform with a sign that
    labeled it as a 1964 289 Cobra.....

7. A-Snake

Re: Why would they sell it?

What big block are you talking about? The car pictured is a small block. -_-

8. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

Eaton had a 427.
    This is not it.
    Comstock did some tech support on Eaton's car.
    Ken Miles did not drive it.
    Ken Miles drove an old CSX2000 car for them.
    One of the multitude of pictures that I have shows Miles in a CSX2000 without side vents...and, of course, you know what that means. ;)

9. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

Back in the day when you didn't think twice about taking the '62 Corvette off-road on a camping trip to watch the races.

10. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of original paperwork concerning Bob McLean who drove the GT40 for the Comstock team when he was killed in it. Real shame, he was a top Canadian driver and would have done well in that Sebring Race. Bob was a driver for the Fogg Motors racing division out of New Westminsiter, B.C . The paperwork is real interesting between Bob and Ford Motor Co. of Canada as he was getting sponsered from them too. I will try to take some pics of some of it over Christmas and post them. Randy

11. Fast Fords

Randy,
    I talked to a guy who thinks he has Bob McLean's personal car.His father also worked at Comstock and bought the car from them.The story he told me was that Bob wanted a '65 Shelby to drive for his personal car and instead,a white '65 GTK fastback with green and white pony interior(Comstock colours) was delivered.After the accident,Comstock sold the car to this guys father.The car needs to be restored but is all original including paint.
    I sure would like to see the articles you have about Bob as I'm sure my father's neighbour would too....Greg.

12. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Greg,
    hey this Randy. We talked before. That's an interesting story. Will try and do before we go for Christmas, if not, after. There is a lot of stuff to go through. Randy #0031

13. ERIK

ERIK Member

[​IMG]

George Eaton's 427 Cobra. Notice the ass end of Tom Payne's red 427SC Cobra peeking out behind the blue Ford truck.

14. Fast Fords

I had a chance to talk to my father's neighbour today.He told me that the pic of the 427 Cobra he has was George Eaton's car.He also told me that he did not work for Comstock.He worked for George Eaton but worked out of Comstock's shop...Greg

15. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

:dance:

16. A-Snake

After Comstock CSX2002 was owned by Jean Oulette and raced under Rimouski Racing. Photo from autocourse.ca

[​IMG]

17. A-Snake

Since we are the subject of racing in Canada, here is a shot of CSX2062 when owned by Larry Cohen of Montreal. Photo also from autocourse.ca.

I'll bet those knock offs could do some damage
    :cool:

[​IMG]

18. bitzman

Miles in Comstock Cobra--what color was Ken's helmet?

Racing Division's picture is the best, the side view running shot visible a few letters up on this thread.(click on the mini pic to see it larger) I didn't realize Miles drove the small block 289, tho before this thread started I didn't even know Miles raced a 289 other than the Shelby factory team cars with matching livery and front to rear stripes. Anyhow now that I know the Comstock CSX2000 series car was white and the flag emblem on the side green, the next and final question is: what color helmet did Miles traditionally wear? I ask this for art reasons ,though model makers miight want to know as well....

19. A-Snake

Re: Miles in Comstock Cobra--what color was Ken's helmet?

Wallace, You've told us that you don't have a Registry. Now are you going to say that you don't have Dave Friedman's book either? -_- Pg 63 is a full page shot of Miles in the Comstock Cobra at Mosport in Sept. '63 ;)

20. bitzman

Which friedman book?

I'll go to Autobooks and see the Friedman books. He's done half a dozen on Cobra and Shelby, and my books come
    and go depending on whether I think I'll need them for reference. I don't have every
    book, for instance Stauffer's book Cobra Daytona Coupe (which Friedman contributed to) is now valued at $900 so I can't afford a book that expensive but when I needed it, I found out you can go to your own local library and order any book in print for $2 and they will find it and loan it to you just as if it's from their library. Friedman did a really insightful book (as far as unearthing information) for Shelby. Can't remember the title something like "Rememberances" and it is available from Shelby at various charity functions and maybe from the charity website by mail order. It consists of interviews of various ex-employees, many of whom have died since the book was first written. I don't know why that book isn't mass produced, I guess it's what is called a "private printing." One of the most interesting things in that book is how much the Shelby employees had it in for Holman & Moody, even though you'd think by the time they were interviewed, some 30 years after the events, they might have cooled off...