Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby's original Viper chassis design

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by bitzman, Dec 18, 2007.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

When I went to the Marty Yacoobian/Ric Cole Shelby auction in Newport Beach a few years ago, where they sold a lot of leftover Shelby Dodge project stuff (including half a dozen Dodge cars), there was a spine frame chassis, a lot like a Lotus Elan but larger, that was touted as "Shelby's Viper chassis design." I was wondering if anyone has a picture of this or knows if Chrysler even looked at it, because it seems like Dodge went and developed a Viper chassis by themselves and I don't remember anyone saying it had a Shelby designed chassis.

Also are there any good articles , lengthy interviews, about Shelby and his Viper involvement, maybe in a Viper magazine? I'd like to buy a copy if someone has such an article.
    Thanks

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I'll give you a short summary with lots of missing details and based upon foggy memories. How does that sound? :D Carroll was developing his own car and looking for support from any of the major manufacturers to get the thing funded and built. He built a chassis and more but I'm not sure exactly how far along he was in the development process. Chrysler/Dodge, Bob Lutz, decided to work with him in creating the car, later known as the "Viper." At this time Carroll was getting weaker and weaker and in the hospital awaiting a heart transplant. His involvement in the development of the car decreased considerably due to his health and Lutz carried the project to completion. It ended up not being quite the car Carroll had envisioned but a brute nonetheless. The car was bigger and heavier than what Carroll originally wanted so I would imagine that the chassis that was sold did not closely resemble the final product known as the Viper. I remember when he was selling that stuff but have not seen it.
    Randall

3. jason1281art

jason1281art New Member