Join Shelby Forums Today

Carroll Shelby’s Personal 1969 GT500 Mustang to Be Sold at 2008 Barrett-Jackson

Discussion in 'Shelby News Forum' started by rshelby, Nov 6, 2007.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Carroll Shelby’s Personal 1969 GT500 Mustang to Be Sold at 2008 Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction

Performance Legend Has Owned Car Since New

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Carroll Shelby’s personal 1969 Shelby GT500 convertible will be sold at No Reserve during the 37th Annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event on Jan. 12-20, 2008, in Scottsdale, Ariz. The car has been owned by Mr. Shelby since it was built and is the only 1960’s era Shelby Mustang he has owned continually since it rolled off the assembly line.

“This Shelby GT500 has been part of Carroll Shelby’s personal stable for almost 40 years,” said Barrett-Jackson President Steve Davis, also a renowned Shelby expert. “It is a well documented car that Carroll drove extensively. I believe the only other Shelby automobile that he’s owned longer than this GT500 is the first Cobra, CSX2000. That fact makes this ’69 GT500 a rare piece of automotive history that the serious, savvy collector will appreciate.”

Mr. Shelby is scheduled to attend the auction and hand the keys to the convertible to the new owner personally. In January 2007, the Barrett-Jackson Auction Company sold the only 427 Shelby Cobra built specifically for Carroll in Scottsdale, as well as the first 2007 Shelby GT.

One of only 246 Ford Shelby GT500 convertibles built in 1969, Mr. Shelby’s personal red 428 c.i.d. Cobra Jet powered car has only 69,725 miles and came originally equipped with automatic transmission, GT equipment group, white interior and top, intermittent wipers, power steering, power brakes, tilt steering, factory A/C, AM-FM stereo radio, tachometer and trip odometer.

The car recently was restored under the direction of Stephen Becker. A world-renowned Shelby collector and broker of vintage Shelby Cobras, GT350s and GT500s, his expertise and knowledge have been tapped by enthusiasts worldwide to rebuild, locate, purchase, consign and restore original Shelbys.

Becker engaged well known and respected Shelby restorer Jim Cowles at Shelby Parts & Restoration in Green Bay, Wisc., to complete a Concours rotisserie restoration of the car for Mr. Shelby personally. Every mechanical piece, from the C6 automatic transmission to the front disc brakes and 9” rear end was restored, refinished, rebuilt or replaced with NOS parts. The body was repainted and every cosmetic component, including the functional ram-air scoop, side ducts and style bar, was refurbished to bring the GT500 back to its 1969 condition.

The car was originally built as a white car with blue stripes. Though Mr. Shelby wanted a red car, production of GT500s had ended by the time he received the car from the Shelby Automotive corporate car-pool. Thus, he authorized the convertible to be sent back to the Shelby facility and re-painted red with white stripe before he took possession of it. He replaced the original Shelby 5 spoke wheels with Shelby 10 spoke wheels from his Shelby Wheel Company.

Shelby also installed a supplemental electric fuel pump in the trunk with a toggle switch mounted on the driver’s side dash; the switch was from one of the original Daytona coupes. Carroll put a set of COBRA LeMans valve covers, a Shelby sold chrome air-cleaner and the proto-type "big block" COBRA T-oil pan on the car to demonstrate parts from his catalog.

“This car has many unusual bits of equipment,” added Becker. “For instance, Carroll painted the engine block red when he rebuilt it instead of the original Ford blue to show that he did it himself. Most importantly, the original title is still in Carroll’s name and will be signed over to the new owner at the sale by Shelby himself.”

The car is slotted to be sold on Saturday evening, January 20, between 3 and 7 p.m. The auction will be broadcast live by Speed. Additional information about the car is available at www.barrett-jackson.com.

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

Does this benefit the Heart Fund? Any guesses on the bids for this one? I would expect it to be less than last year's Cobra auction. If it is a charity item, I could see it going for $450,000.

robin

3. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

There is alot of foolish money floating around in scottsdale during the month of january so look for it to go for more than 450. I go every year and it is an amazing event to see. However, there arent many deals to be found or cars at 'market valure'.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

4. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

this car will sell for more than 500k hammer. IMO

5. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I see it going for $1.2 Million Dollars. I bet Carroll will be on hand and they will get the crowd pumped up. I believe it will all go to Charity (CSCF) and that will help drive the Price up as will all of the Free-Bee's that will get tossed in such as Signatures, The Cowboy Hat, the Shirt, etc when the Bidding slows. I just hope I am able to watch it on Speed.
    David.

6. tesgt350

It would be very cool to set up a "Price is Right" style 50/50 Drawing for this Car. You put in $20.00 and Guess what the Sell Price will be. You can NOT use a Price that has already been Chosen. The peoson that comes closest to the Winning Bid (not including the B-J Fees) WITH OUT GOING OVER, gets 50% of what was put into the Pot and the other 50% gets sent to the CSCF. Who is game for this? There is plenty of time to set this up.
    David.

7. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

I wonder why the description in the BJ listing states "SOLD ON A BILL OF SALE"? That would suggest that it can not be titled.

8. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life Active Member

Wow, knowing this, I might have to make my 1st trip to BJ ever. Silly I haven't sooner, since I live 100ish miles away in tucson.

9. tesgt350

Some States used to not issue Titles on their Cars, they got Bill of Sales. If Carroll has not taged the car in Many Years, then he would not have a Title. Some states still do issue Titles to cars that are older.
    David.

10. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

I'm in on the "Price is right" part.
    Put me at 1.115 mill (1 million, one Hundred & fifteen thousand)

Who's keeping track of the (Forum) Bids?

Mike

11. tesgt350

Well, since it is my idea, I will do it if no one has any objections. I will make a Form and post it on my Website so that it can be printed out and mailed in. www.mestengofx.com Just let me know.
    David

12. tesgt350

I just designed a Players Form and up loaded it to my site at www.mestengofx.com. Let me what you think.
    David.

13. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

The car remains on the M.S.O. (Manufacturers statement of Origin) it was never titled. Or so the story has been told.....

14. tesgt350

Dont use this Form as I just revised it and will switch it out later today. I have been told that I need more Rules and Guide Lines for this Game because some people wont understand the simpleness of it........ LOL. so I am covering all bases, i hope. When the NEW Form is up loaded, I will start a NEW Thread for the Game. Thanks.
    David.

15. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

This is at the end of the first post "Most importantly, the original title is still in Carroll’s name and will be signed over to the new owner at the sale by Shelby himself.”

I'm guessing that means there is a title.

16. tesgt350

My guess is that there is a communication problem going on at B-J....... to many people want to be involved with this Vehicle and are not communicating with each other.
    David.

17. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Funny thing, I read a few years ago, can't remember where now that Carrol Shelby wanted nothing more to do with Stephen Becker. Maybe in the Snakebite bulliten, Randy

18. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

I think you guys are high on your bids...i say the car doesnt go over 400 k.
    But then again I was at the BJ last year when the Cobra Super Snake sold for big $$$ so you never know.

19. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

We are talking barrett jackson here, the land of cash aplenty and common sense........well u get the point.
    Car should go for over 1 mil.

Last year a coronet 4 door with a hemi, one of only three ever built was hammered for 600,000 on the block at BJ....three months later, it failed to reach 170,000 on ebay.

Regards,
    Vern

20. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

All true statements...but think this a different market then last year. With the crunch of interest rates and the housing market i dont think people will be as apt to blow huge wads of cash.
    But you are probably right....they serve alcohol and there will always be the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality...