Join Shelby Forums Today

Boy, is this painful to watch...

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by computerworks, Oct 25, 2007.

1. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

Screen grab from the trailer of the new movie. "American Gangster," coming out next week.

There should be an organization in Hollywood that protects cars..like the one that protects animals...when a movie is shot.

We all know it's not a real one...but, still....

...sniff. :wacko:

YouTube - AMERICAN GANGSTER- Full Trailer

Attached Files:

2. 289Cobra

289Cobra Active Member

I had plans to see that movie until I saw that. It's completely unacceptable to destroy a perfectly good Mustang fastback for the sake of a film, therefore they won't get my money. Why couldn't they have done a '67-68 and just used a car with one of the new Dynacorn bodies???

3. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Have you seen the Movie with Will Smith that has a 2007 Red Shelby GT 500 Coupe with White Stripes in it? They have shown the "Making" of the Shelby's for that movie several times on TV now. They use 3 of them and they wrecked one after crashing it through a Store Front Window and they cut one up to make a "Camera Car". I read the "Making of BUllitt" (the first one) story in one of my Mustang Magazines and they used just 3 Fastback Mustngs to make the Movie. I hear that the "New" Bullitt Movie will use about 8 Mustangs to do the Movie, AND most of the stunts are done by Computer. No wander Movies cost so make to make.................

4. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

look at it this way, look what Gone In 60 Seconds did for the mustang popularity, it increased it 100 times over. Now that a Hertz car is in a film maybe it will do some good for the Hertz Shelby Market. :cigar:

5. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

Didn't Tom Cruise drive a Hertz car in a pic recently?

Mike

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  6. Shelby~gt350#3000

he drove a 65 Hertz Shelby in the movie War Of The Worlds

7. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

That car was at VIR at SAAC convention the one in war of the worlds.

8. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

You can notice all kinds of shelby/ford performance stuff in Cruise's house after he drives the shelby home.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

9. 289Cobra

289Cobra Active Member

The War of the Worlds '66 Hertz is owned by Gino Lucci, who along with his brother, own Picture Cars East. They supply vehicles to the film and TV industry, as well as do some stunt driving. You may remember a show on one of the cable channels called Shooting Cars that was based on their shop.

Gino is a SAAC member and owns the Hertz, a '70 Boss 429, and a bunch of other cool cars. They also provided the new Shelby for the aforementioned Will Smith movie that's coming out soon.

As far as the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds, I wasn't happy about that one, either. Not only did I think the movie was bad, I wasn't crazy about the "new" Eleanor (either in looks or the fact that it drove '67 Shelby values through the roof and out of my price range). Plus, I heard they destroyed at least four original '67 Mustang fastbacks to make that piece of crap, which to me is a travesty.

10. tesgt350

YES, Shooting Cars, thats the TV Show I was thinking of. They are the ones that did the 2007 Red Shelby GT 500 cars for a Movie. The Original "Gone in 60 Seconds was one of my "All Time Favorites". Nothing was Computer generated, all the stunts were REAL, even the ones that were NOT supposed to happen. The "BEST" movie I think is "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS". If you have not seen it, get it.
    David.

11. Shelby6t7

Shelby6t7 Well-Known Member

The Hertz car in the scene getting blown up was also supplied by Gino Lucci at Picture Cars East. He had contacted me last year to see if I can locate a 65/66 fastback shell for him to "blow up" in a movie. After several leads I had that didn't pan out, Gino eventually got a car from Bill Collins at B.C. Fords. Bill painted and striped the fastback, and Picture Cars did the rest, wheels, tires etc. After speaking with Gino last week he told me that car was actually bought from the studio after it was blown up.

Kenny

12. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

...I'm not surprised. I met Gino at the last few SAAC nationals..nice guy, good stories.

13. tesgt350

Not surprising.......In the movie "The Fast and the Furious" (sp), the Red Saleen that got wiped out by the two Semi's was sold and rebuilt and has been to several Car Shows that I go to here in Florida. The car looks new again.
    David.

14. shelbyH1886

shelbyH1886 Active Member

Hey to all of you. Just to introduce myself, My name is Gino Lucci, and I am the guy who happens to love Shelby's, and of course expose them in every possible venue i can. As in War of the Worlds, or this new one "American Gangster."

First, all of you should know that I would NEVER take a good car,mustang, Shelby or otherwise..and just kill them for a movie's sake. We do use other alternatives. Mostly car's from junk yards ready to be scrapped, or at times computer generated images, as they are called in my business CGI imaging.

You should all know that the Shelby(mustang) used in this latest film, came from a junk yard in PA.. Bill Collins, a real nice guy found it, without floors I might add, and ready to be crushed. He brought it back to life (almost anyway) and delivered to me. Tony Branda got some business selling me all that I needed to make it look like (1886,) and it all worked as I see, because it aroused some interest with some of you. I can tell you for sure that the car that was blown up didn't even have any floors, as they were literally rusted away. Bars had to be welded inside to keep the body from crushing onto itself. So, to all you guys that can't watch this movie, relax, it was something we created to fool the eye...I guess we did achieve this magic. Will be seeing you guys with other ventures in the future....as I will try always to expose Shelby's and Mustangs in Movies.

Gino

15. Shelby~gt350#3000

Hi Gino:

Well said.

I was reading all the posts and I was a bit amused how many people were getting so upset. I was laughing out loud thinking to myself that people actually think movie makers would blow up REAL Shelbys. No way would a motion picture company shell out the bucks to buy the cars when they can hire guys like you to make them look like the real thing at a fraction of the cost. Great work taking a rusty mustang ready to be turned into a furture refrigerator and making some exciting entertainment for us all.

Keep showing Shelbys and other cool Mustangs, it sells tickets and it makes younger genrations aware of them.By the way Gone In Sixty Seconds was a great movie. Very entertaining. Sometimes people forget movies are "Entertainment" and should be viewed as such.

My 2 cents...:cool:

Jim

16. alxinya

alxinya Active Member

didn't To Criuse also drive a nice mustang in Vanilla Sky??????

17. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Yeah, I think it was a highland green 68 fastback.

18. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I knew as soon as I saw a commercial on TV with the shot of the explosion that Gino had something to do with the film. I was also sure that if it was him that no good Mustang or Shelby would be harmed in the filming, he loves Shelbys as much or more than the rest of us and has proper respect.

That Mustang shell will probably get rebuilt into a decent car and sold somewhere as a movie car for a premium price. Keep an eye out.

19. shelbyH1886

Yes, In vanilla sky Tom Cruise drove a 68 green fastback......there were 2, one for exterior shots, one for interiors. Those cars came from a co. in Los Angeles, and I had the pleasure of handling them in the movie, which most was shot here in NYC. I should let all you guys know that Tom Cruise is a mustang fanatic. He loooooveeesss mustangs or Shelby's. While preparing himself for War of The Worlds, he picked a Hertz Shelby out of a magazine, and coincidentally I was the guy working on it in NY. When they told me what car he wanted.(superstars have that much say so ) it was just a natural that we would use my 1886. A little piece of trivia for all you guys.

Knowing that 1886 is an original ShelbyH with 21,000 miles, original paint, hoses,belts,brakes,interior, I was concerned about possibly having a problem of a breakdown on set. In a movie of that magnitude, approx. 120K per day is spent, one cannot leave things to chance. With the help of Howard Pardee at SAAC, we located a second H car near the shooting, as a back up. That car, was for sale by the owner . Fortunately for me. that car was never needed, so not used. While we were filming Tom could not believe my car was original (original plugs and points) and kept making comments how responsive the car was. He found out somehow we had a backup. Every day, he would ask a lot of questions about 1886...i.e. where it came from etc etc...I then found out that in reality Steven Spielberg was actually in love with 1886. I believe, not wanting to offend me in asking me to buy it, they purchased the back up car. Tom Cruise had his confidant go and check out the back up car, and purchased it, only to give it to Mr. Spielberg as a present at the end of the movie. That car (1487) is now owned by the man himself Steven Spielberg. It was at SAAC 31 in Ca. where it received a popular vote trophie. You guys with that snake bite can look it up.

Just a few thoughts of trivia that most didin't know...

Gino

20. shelbyH1886

To be exact, we used 6 total, of which 1 was a GT which I made into a shelby (we needed the a/t for Will Smith as he had a lot to do in the car) 5 of them,(the actual Shelbys) were damages in a lot of the movie, and eventually went back to Ford, where I saw with my own eyes in Deaborn, how they were taken apart and mostly scapped. I know, it hurt me to look at his, but think of the advantages for Ford. They get to use them as a tax deduction, and get all the exposure in a movie. Knowing that many more can be made, I dont feel as bad as taking one that cannot be replaced and killing it.

Gino

P.S. SAAC has all of those serial numbers stored, just in case a fake Shelby with those numbers happens to appear 10 years from now.