Join Shelby Forums Today

Online Chat?

Discussion in 'General Website Info & Help' started by Shelby~gt350#3000, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Hello administrator and all, I wonder if an online chat on this site would be of interest to any Shelby nuts? maybe? maybe?
    Jim

2. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty cool to me.
    Instant feedback....no waiting for answers.
    The question is....how many people are there on the site at any given time?
    A great idea.
    BEst REgards,
    Vern

3. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

From a logistics standpoint, a member could post that he is in need of assistance and that he will be in the chat area @ x time (posting in advance & a time that would make it conducive for a greater # of attendees). Anyone who saw the post could attend if they wished.
    Perhaps there are stats Randall can provide that gives a general idea of when most users on line on a given day?

Mike

4. Shelby~gt350#3000

You made an excellent prediction. Making a post time and date about a topic would surely add to the excitement and experience of this site for members with questions. :thumbsup:

5. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

My experience with community sites is that, although real-time chat sounds exciting...when it is implemented, it is rarely used.

A distinct disadvantage of chat for technical issues is that the Q&A's are forever lost when the moment has passed.... whereas a thread, posting a question, followed by discussion and answers, on the other hand, will always be available for new members down the road.

If real-time conversation between active members sounds like fun for you, I would encourage using an IM (Instant Message) system, like AIM, and posting your AIM handle in your profile.

6. vernonestes

Plus...it is very easy to print a AIM chat out.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

7. Ranger Jerry

Ranger Jerry Well-Known Member

vernonestes, yesterday you mentioned how many forum members were viewing the site at a given time. There use to be a small window on the home page that showed who was viewing the site with you. Now you need to go to the QUICK LINKS tab, drop down and choose Who's on-line. I like it better on the home page Ranger Jerry

8. vernonestes

Thanks alot Ranger Jerry.
    Vern

9. Shelby~gt350#3000

There are plenty of IM sites out there to have "FUN" on. Im not looking to be entertained.

10. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

We could do that fairly easily but I think Ron's (computerworks) response sums up my opinion as well. When posting, we retain the information for future use and I do know of a number of other community sites where it is virtually unused...even with 500+ people on line at a time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I certainly won't rule it out. We are always looking for ways to improve. :thumbup:
    Randall