Join Shelby Forums Today

67 grill question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by firestanggt, Oct 11, 2007.

1. firestanggt

firestanggt Well-Known Member

I have another question, Imagine that.

I had noticed that the grill that came with my car did not look like the repro ones being sold. I just figured the repro ones were made different. However, I got the 67 shelby master assembly manual the other day and the grill shown looks just like the repros. So after a little research on this site I believe that I have the slanted 2 piece that came in some early cars.
    Does anyone know what numbered cars and how many came with these? Mine is 2510 so I'm sure that is well beyond when they used these grills.

So should I just use this grill or buy a repro to make it correct? Any idea what this grill would be worth if I were to sell it? There must be someone out there with an early car that needs a grill.

thanks again guys.

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Do a search on the 67 grill. It wasn't too long ago that there was a post about the types. But, I'll try to recall what I know.

The early models 0-100 (or so) had a one piece slanted grill.
    The next batch, maybe 100-400-600 had the two piece slanted grill.
    The next 400-600 to 600 + got the up and down inboard grill, then, most cars built after car #2000 (or so) had the outboard grill.

Ok, make sure you read this: this information is NOT absolute, just a rough observation. For instance, there where some outboard grilled cars built before car #2000. There where some inboard grilled cars built after car 2000.
    And as reported by abouther poster (Bob Gaines), there where also cars that for years were thought to be build one way, but infact were not.

You are correct though, that it is very unlikely your car was built with this grill. Any evidence of a crash?

And, I might be interested in buying your grill. But, this is just me, I'd guess the value between $175.00 and 400.00 or so.

3. firestanggt

Thanks for the info.
    I read through some old threads on the subject-thats how I figured out what it was, but I didn't see any production numbers associated with them.
    I know it's not original to the car because it kissed a guard rail or something back in the early 70's and mangled the front end. We had to replace 3 of the inner fenders, the rad support and crossmember and 1 shock tower. luckily the rails were still straight. Previous owners have collected parts for it over the years and it all came with it.
    I might just use it anyway.
    I don't think the hood is correct for the car either since it has the steel frame.
    I guess it'll just be a mutt.

4. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Ah, that steel framed hood might explain why your grill matched to an early car. Those hoods were also an early car feature.

But, do you have a Marti report for your car? What was the build date? Here's why this is interesting. Some cars are problem makers. Maybe it got a bad battery, didn't start, run, and it got set aside somewhere before the Shelby vin number was put on. Just conjecture there, but, it can happen.

5. firestanggt

I don't have a report at this time since I'm having some issues getting the ford vin. 3 of the inner aprons were replaced. I believe the pass side rear apron to be original but there is no vin stamped on it.