Join Shelby Forums Today

10 Spokes/Polish

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by shelby68gt500, Oct 7, 2007.

1. shelby68gt500

shelby68gt500 Well-Known Member

Had recently picked up some Black Magic Wheel/Mag cleaner and tried it on one of my fairly new 10 spokes. Rinsed off and set off to the side to dry. Came back several minutes later to find it covered with what appeared to be water marks, but they wouldn't come out. :mad: :doh: Now I'm concerned. Went out and picked up the following items, hoping that at least one of them will bring back the shine and get rid of the marks the BM left. Does anyone have any experience with Mothers Billet Metal Polish, Meguiars Hot Rims Mag & Aluminum Polish or Eagle One Never-Dull Wadding Polish? Or possibly any experience in what works best for the 10 spokes?

Thanks, Bob

2. brazoscobra

brazoscobra Member

I've had a similar problem and I used American Racing Metal Polish and it worked for me.

3. shelby68gt500

shelby68gt500 Well-Known Member

Brazo, Thanks for the info... When you say it worked for you, did it remove all the milky-type markings and restore the shine?
    Any chance you can tell me what the ingredients are for that metal polish? I'd like to compare to the things I have to see if things are similar. Bob

4. brazoscobra

brazoscobra Member

the name of the product is "American Racing Metal Polish Factory Formula"

it does not have an ingredient listing. The product itself is a pre-saturated polishing cloth, that you cut into small piece and simply polish.

the polishing cloths do a very good job, although you go through them pretty quick. It removed the water spots from my wheels and gave a good mirror shine. I've used Mothers and various other polishes over the years and the AR is very easy to use and works well.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  5. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the cleaner you used probably had some kind of caustic chemical in it and it actually etched (ate away at) the wheels. I'll bet that what looks like water spots on the surface of the wheel is actually small pock marks.

I had this same problem when I let some soap drops stay on the wheel overnight. It etched the wheel. Polishing them got some of it out but the marks are still there and cannot be removed except with some aggressive wet sanding and repolishing.

6. alxinya

alxinya Active Member

That happens alot
    Alex

7. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Call Craig Connelly at Paradise Wheels in San Marcos, CA. He did two sets of Magstars for me, been around Shelby's 30 years. Has 4 1965 Gt350's. Knows wheels better than anyone. Also knows Paxton blowers better than anyone too.

Mike

8. rickmustang

rickmustang Member

Cobra Automotive polished mine to better than new. Highly recommend Cobra Auto.:)