Join Shelby Forums Today

GT350 Starter Noise

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by tommyleea, Oct 4, 2007.

1. tommyleea

tommyleea Well-Known Member

My 66 GT350 has a noisy starter. I purchased a new starter the other day, and went to install it, but the nose cone housing wouldn't quite fit into the bellhousing plate. It is a stick shift. I had to trim the nose cone base to make it fit into the hole. Today I drove the car around, and started it several times. It still seemed noisy to me. The next time I went to start the car the starter wouldn't engage, it just spun. I hit the key real quick a couple of times, and finally it enagaged. Drove the car home, and had the same problem on and off. Do you think I got a bad starter or are there other issues? I was thinking about buying a later model starter with a little more torque. I know this won't fix my problem, but my mind is wandering. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tommy

2. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

This is a common problem with old ford V8's now. As time went by there were more and more variation in flywheel teeth, flywheel diameter automatic flywheel, manual tranny flywheel. Rebuilding is a very competitive business. Bad work/cheap/fast turn around... All the front housing parts get mixed up.. people that sell the damned things leave it up to the customer to keep bringing it back until you get one that fits..
    good advice is to have somebody re-build your starter ... don't exchange them
    jimbo

3. tommyleea

Thanks. I did keep my original starter, so I will take the "rebuild my old one route". Cheers

Tommy:)

4. tommyleea

Removed my starter, and the drive gear was incorrect. It was smaller than it should be. .030 smaller than others that I measured. Anyway, I installed an starter for a 90 Mustang and it works great. It is a little smaller, and the cable connection is at the end so it clears the header better. I was looking at several different starters, and it may have ended up being for an 89, I can't remember now, but it is one with the remote solenoid, like the original one. Just some info to share.

Tommy