Join Shelby Forums Today

67 GT500 A/C oil cooler question?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by JSOHC, Sep 16, 2007.

1. JSOHC

JSOHC Member

I went to the Charlotte Auto Fair this weekend. Was looking at 3 67 Cars. Was talking to a guy shooting the breeze. He said he had had over 30 shelbys in his life time.Some thing was brought up about A/C cars with a oil cooler.He said I was wrong. And may be. He Never heard of a A/C car with a oil cooler. Then a really well known shelby guy walks up(from Fla) and said he knew nothing of a cooler also. So can any one shed some info on this matter.Have I been told wrong ? They did come with one? How can I have a NOS S7MS oil cooler adapter in the box?
    Thanks for the input and this site.
    Jack in Ga.
    :mellow:

2. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello Jack,

My car was originally equipped with factory A/C (currently missing) and it also has the factory installed engine oil cooler. I believe the original plan was that all 1967 G.T. 500s with factory A/C were to be equipped with the engine oil cooler; not sure if this actually ended up happening.......

This is what I have heard/read over the years. I am sure that someone on the forum knows more about it than I do......

Thanks,
    Eric

3. JSOHC

JSOHC Member

Thats what I have been told also. Its hard to tell who knows what any more.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Jack in Ga
    :confused:

4. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Not to say some didn't "slip through" without but 67/68 AC 500s should have oil coolers.

5. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Just because a person is a well known Shelby guy doesn't automaticaly make him a knowledgable Shelby guy. Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous. If a 67 or 68 Shelby GT500 with air conditioning DIDN'T have a oil cooler the burden of proof would be with owner to prove why it was MISSING in any SAAC concours competition.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  6. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

My 67 GT500 is a factory AC car. It has an oiler and a louvered hood. Not sure if all A/C cars had louvered hoods, Bob G??

I took this picture last week of my oil cooler. The nose piece is currently off so it is in plane sight. Note the license plate bracket right in front of the oil cooler, if the plate were on it, it would completely block any air flow.

Oil Cooler:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/67GT500/photo#5111394319458136770

Louvered Hood:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.herman/67GT500/photo#5111387713798435346

Also, check Pete's great site:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/TRIVIA.HTML

7. JSOHC

JSOHC Member

Thanks for all the info. Herm your pictures really help. My engine looks almost like yours. Its on the stand needing rebuilt. I like your gear drive engine stand.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Jack in Ga.
    :guitar:

8. Bob Gaines

Mike, thanks for the additional pictures of parts of your car and the link to Pete Dishers 68 Shelby website.Pete Dishers and his website has helped me a lot in the past with making sense of some of the 68 Shelby details which help add to my data base.I consider him a valuable asset to the Shelby preservation community.Pete also has gone to a lot of trouble making difficult wiring harness's available in reproduction for Shelby owners. Mike, I thought I would mention after seeing the picture you posted of your oil cooler radiator that if you want to be historically accurate you should have ether side half's painted a aqua blue color and the fins in the middle should be bare aluminum. The repros of the of the 67/68 oil cooler radiator came painted black and they have wavy fins (which is better for heat transfer) but the assembly line coolers had straight fins.This is a way to tell a repro from a Ginny. The fittings that adapted the oil cooler hoses to the cooler were left brass . I will try and post some pictures of the oil cooler and original oil cooler lines as I get time and remember. All 67 Shelby air cars were meant to get a louvered hood. The picture of the louvered hood reminded me of the fact that the underside of the hood is the key to determining a reproduction from a original.The understructure is quit a bit different. I will try and post some pictures by the weekend.

9. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

10. Bob Gaines

It looks like a Ginny. Another thing for the louvered hoods and the non louvered hoods you can always tell by looking at the hood latch attachment area . The original hoods had a steel stucture bonded into that area for the the hood latch to bolt to were the repros were all fiberglass.