Join Shelby Forums Today

Employee Badge/Sticker

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by vernonestes, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

I saw one of those parking stickers still on a cars windshield @ SAAC 32 this summer. Pretty cool.

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Hmm, Rick Kopec didn't have them? I'll bet he would enjoy those.

4. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be hard to recreate :), what number do you want on yours?

5. 5S284

5S284 Well-Known Member

These two employee badges are repops, jollyroge should know this and the person who once owned #98 should know this also. I know because I bought one of these repops in the late 1980's, funny thing, my number is 99 since I had 6S099 at the time. Mine has never seen sunlight, but it is yellowed, it looks like it is 40 years old. Sure is too bad, especially for the person who spent $480.00. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

6. cobreen

cobreen Well-Known Member

7. vernonestes

Just for reference.....how do you know these are repops?

Cobreen.....is the one on ebay also a repop.....guy who is selling it says otherwise and has quite the history.

Best Regards,
    Vern

8. cobreen

cobreen Well-Known Member

You've got a point there,vernonestes.I'm in no position to say what is original or not.And,after all it is not our business to criticize what someone is willing to pay.

Regards,

Freddy

9. vernonestes

I talked to the seller personally.

Really a nice guy.

Got lots of cool stuff....says all of it was collected by him back in the sixties when he worked for various ford dealers.

Best Regards,
    Vern

10. Bill Sander

Bill Sander Member

It Would Seem The Employee For #98 Should Have Been Carroll Himself. That Was His Racing Number In The Fifties And Sixties.
    Bill

11. 5S284

5S284 Well-Known Member

No Bill, You have to re read my post, the answer is there, do you really think Shelby would have had an identification badge for himself in order to enter his own business? If he did, chances were the number would have been 001. Now there is another one on Ebay, I tell you all these are repops, I have a friend who was a frabricator at Shelby American and the back of these are wrong Do you really think after all these years there would be employee badges without their names written on them?

12. jollyroge

jollyroge Member

Dear Mr. 5S284
    I am the seller of the Shelby employee badge and parking sticker.
    You should check your facts before make a total ass of yourself by telling the world that these are fakes. These items came directly from Rick Kopec and are original .
    Who the hell do you think you are trying to discredit me !!!!.
    Check my feedbacks it is obvious I do not misrepresent what I sell.
    Do something more constructive with your time like get another hobby or pick up a few more pets.
    Jollyroge

13. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

And Rick Kopec worked at SAI when? (Yes I know who Rick is and maybe he was given real ones. maybe he was'nt) Not trying to fan any flames here but it appears not one but two other forum members claim to have bought these back in the 80's. maybe they should post some pics to validate their claims now that things are heating up! But play nice.

14. vernonestes

Has anyone taken the time to look at jollyroge's feedback?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...yroge&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=STRK:ME:UFS

Spotless!!!!!!!!!!

Have some faith!!!!!!!!!

Look at some of the past items that he has offered.

He is legit and why would a guy who sells so much premium shelby stuff go and sell a repop?
    Just wouldnt make sense.

Someone is alway suspicious about something being fake on this forum.....can we just believe this item is real and move one already?

Best Regards,
    Vern

15. 5S284

5S284 Well-Known Member

Good morning Mr. Vogt, In no way was I trying to discredit your reputation or slander you in any way, for many years (20) I have purchased parts from Cobra Automotive for keeping my cars running as they should as well as original parts where reproductions just don't seem to look correct. I also have no intentions of "making an ass of myself" or let your remarks go without my experiences with respects to these "original" Shelby Employee badges.
    If you have "The Shelby American" issue #58, from 1990 on the bottom of page 63 you will see a photograph of badge #102 and the description that these repos are just like the original, each one carries a number 1-500, price was $16.95 and the contact was Bill Silver in San Diego, Cal.
    I remember at the time, never seeing an original one and being interested in Shelby American memorbilia, I thought it would be nice to have one. I think I found Bill through directory assistance since I thought they might already be sold. The photo had #102 my car was 99, I thought I would be safe since most people were going after the serial numbers of their car and 5R099 was destroyed, chances are badge #99 would still be available. When I finally got ahold of Bill he told me he no longer had them, his remaining tags were sold to a dealer, not sure , but I think it was Tony D. Branda.
    When I contacted the dealer in fact the badge #99 had not been taken, I still have it today. It is identical in every way to what you posted on Ebay as well as the other one currently posted, the give away is the square double back adhesive which the clip mounts to as well as other areas of concern listed below.
    So now, 17 years later these things turn yellow, sure look 40 plus years old to me, but mine has been in a glass display case since I got it, in a room with no direct sunlight. I think I have seen three original employee badges, one from an ex employee, with his name written on it, from Hawaii. It was on e bay about 4 years ago, I got out bid on it. Then I saw Bill Eaton's original badge and I think Allen Grant may still have his. The next time I am out to his house I will have to take some photos so this dispute will come to an end.
    I find it hard some how that Rick Kopec just happened to have found #98, the same serial number of his now ex-Essex Wire R-model, 5R098. I bought badge #99, #102 is pictured in the original ad, all three of these have no names written on them. As you, a very knowledgeable person in respects to early Shelby American history (aside if Rick is also writing the Ebay ads as well) that things were not always done in order, Koni dates codes were not matched up for each particular car, some GT350's had two different attaching clips on their Ray Brown seat belts etc. So we can't assume these badges were handled out in numerical order, but I have never seen one that did not have a person's name written on it. As Howard can verify, the numbers of employees at LAX were in the hundreds, several , several hundreds. I would just find it hard to believe #98 went unsigned, I am sure Rick got this after his serial number of his Rmodel, wonder if he got 118? And the 102 badge in the picture in The Shelby American was probably taken at SAAC HQ, who owned 5R102 in 1990, none other than Ken Eber. Funny uh? Wonder if we should contact Howard Pardee, I am willing to bet he bought employee badge #95 and #350 (that one may have already been taken, it was when I called Bill Silver). I 'll have to call Howard tomorrow. Maybe Howard has an original one ?
    I don't mean to slander anyone, I know Rick has a lot on his plate, he can't remember everything he has collected. I guess I just feel bad when people pay high prices, prices reflective of items that should be for original items and they are not. I guess from now on I will just sit back and enjoy the show once in while, seeing people spend their money foolishly, may it be on reproduction parts passed off as genuine articles,memorbilia, twice rebodied GT350's since the initial rebody was done on the wrong year tub and the auction company leads on that the car had a flawless life, maybe it just comes down to making money, which leads me to your final statement. No Curt, I don't think I will find another hobby, I have met a lot of good people through these cars, yourself, Rick and Howard have always treated me very, very well. Unlike doing it for a business,like Cobra Automotive, or a for-profit club, I share what I can through my web site, so others can learn about these unique cars and the people who were truly responsible for their development. I also try to hold together the Shelby Club for Washington state with whatever spare time I have . For me, this is the essence of a what a "hobby" should be. Have a great rest of the week. Sincerely, Mark Hovander
    www.1965gt350mustang.com

silverton_ford and rshelby like this.
  16. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

For reference only: I am attaching two photos of Lonnie Brannan's badge I shot at SAAC30, sorry they only show the front and not the attaching clip on the back. I also have no information on when he was hired making him number 267.

Regards

SAI_emp_01.jpg

SAI_emp_02.jpg

silverton_ford likes this.
  17. jollyroge

jollyroge Member

I owe everyone on this website an apology .
    The parking lot sticker I sold on eBay was original but the employee badge was indeed a repro.
    After looking at the pictures of the originals on this site I spoke to Rick Kopec again and jogged his memory.
    We surmised that the badge is one that Tony Branda had available years ago.
    I am refunding all moneys to the buyer and will relist the badge as a repro.
    Unfortunately I am not an expert on the memorabilia items and I list the items in good faith of what I am told.
    Sorry for the all the excitement .
    Curt Vogt

18. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

Classy move. That's all that you can do if....

you're wrong. Apologize and try to make amends.

19. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Thanks for showing how a good Businessman handles things. we look forward to future contributions by you on this Forum!!:thumbsup:

20. vernonestes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.