Join Shelby Forums Today

Factory Louvered Hoods on 1967 Gt500's

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  2. cobreen

cobreen Well-Known Member

Re: Factory Louvered Hoods on 67 Gt500's

I'm no expert,but have been told they only were delivered with A/C cars.This is SAAC info,but have found out they might not know everything conserning these cars....
    FGH

3. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

I's m pretty sure I've seen a few non AC cars with them but I'm not sure they were original

4. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi All on this thread.With all the years with these cars,Ive yet to see any information on which cars had the louvered hood,and or why.I can tell you that at least 3 different sources supplied shelby with fiberglass parts.The early steel framed hood was made by Borg Warner.Plaza fiberglass in Canada made an all fiberglass hood.Another company supplied parts and often you will see OBA and a part number cast into the part,but I cannot confirm they made hoods.Berry plastics also was a fiberglass supplier.It would be nice to see some documents-invoices or something to verify who what when where..I think it would be good to ask Dave Matthews.

5. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

Did anybody repop the louvered hoods there seems to be alot of them showing up on cars with no air?

6. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Yes repos are available. I have seen a few louvered hoods on non A.C. cars but one guy I talked to at the SAAC convention a few years ago at M.I.S. admitted that his original hood was not louvered. So, I have yet to see a non A.C. car with proof that it came with a louvered hood other than Charley's super snake.

7. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The repro hoods are quiet a bit different underneath and are extremley hard to make look correct.The easiest thing to look for is the metal innerstructure around the hood latch on a original hood louvered or otherwise the other things are harder to explain without a example to show. The louvered hoods were only meant to be used on A/C cars. I believe a few got used on non a/c cars in very late late 67 production using up supplies. I hope this helps. Bob

8. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

I appreciate everybody's input. I spoke with Dave Mathews (SAAC Rep) a few days ago and he told me "there were a hand full of late a/c cars that had louvered hoods in 67. A few years after the model year ended, Ford ran out of smooth hoods, so all they had was louvered hoods at that time so if you got in an accident you got a louvered hood". I don't claim to know more than SAAC but I have been told many times over the years that some non a/c cars came with louvered hoods as well. My car is #1224 so I wouldn't consider it a late car. The metal date stamps clearly indicate my car was made in mid January 67 and it left the Shelby plant going to the first Ford dealer in April 67. I've always wondered Shelby had the car for 90 days before shipping it. I'm waiting on information I purchased form SAAC and Marti. Maybe I'll learn more about it.

9. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

10. csx4756

csx4756 Member

I had one that had the louvered hood, no AC, I was the second owner. That was in 1977.

11. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

Do you remember the Shelby serial number? This might help to know if your car was a late or an early car. Also, is it possible to speak with the first owner?

12. bossshelby

bossshelby Well-Known Member

I bought car # 413 in the 70's and it was a non a/c car and had a lovered hood.:thumbup:

13. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

My car is #1224 and I have a louvered hood but I can't confirm if my car came with it. I certainly wish I could. Dave Matthews (SSAC Rep) says only very late non a/c cars got a louvered hood. He also said if a car needed a hood ( i.e. wrecked) after the 67 production ended then the only hoods available were louvered. If you could confirm your hood was original to car and not a replacement then this would be excellent information SAAC should find important. I was looking at some pictures of the "Super Snake" on a cover of a magazine dated in April 1967 and it had a louvered hood. My car was shipped in April to Leo Hughes Ford in PA.

14. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

15. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

I found it by clicking onto "Forum Jump" and selecting "Shelby Of The Month". About half way down the page you will see another link

06/2006 - 1967 G.T.500 "Super Snake" - Charley

Open this link and you'll see some magazine photos of the "Super Snake". Several photos show the car with a louvered hood. One of the them shows Mr. Shelby leaning on the hood of the "Super Snake" and it looks like a smooth hood. This photo just adds to the confusion. However, one of the photo's is the "Super Snake" at the track used for the Goodyear tire test and it does show the car with a louvered hood.

16. Charley

Charley Well-Known Member

Ahhh...The cover of Autoweek.

Attached Files:

17. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

Charley, you are lucky man to be associated with this car. To be an owner of a 1 of 1 has to be an awesome feeling. Can you share any insight to this Louvered hood issue. Did the "Super Snake" originally come with a louvered hood? I've even heard that the louvered hood was fabricated specifically for the "Super Snake" anticipating the car would generate a lot engine heat going 140+ MPH on the test track. I also understand the Super Snake was serial #4nn. And since the car was in the April issue and if it came with a louvered hood then this may indicate non a/c cars (like mine) actually came with louvered hoods well before the end of production year. It certainly confirms that early a/c cars came with smooth hoods. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Isn't there a photo of the SuperSnake in the Shelby American guide that shows the hood with the louvers?

19. 1gt500

1gt500 Active Member

There are several photos of The "Super Snake" with a louvered hood. Since the car is #544 (I think) and it has pictures of it in April 67 (with a louvered hood) I am trying to document that some 67 GT500 cars had louvered hoods on non a/c before well before the end of production. Dave Matthews (SAAC Rep) says only very late non a/c cars got a louvered hood because inventories for smooth hoods was low near the end of production. This is important to me because my car is #1224 and it shipped to the original dealer in April 67 and it has an original louvered hood on it. Therefore, I am trying to confirm with as much certainty as possible my louvered hood could be original to my car. If there is enough evidence to support this, maybe SAAC will reconsider their current position about their information being totally accurate.

20. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I hate to bring this up for fear of offending but another possibliity could be that the car had a front end collision that may have required a new hood. If it happened early in it's life it is totaly feasable and more likely that the car could have received one of "only available at that time" louvered hoods as a replacement. Back in the late 60's it was common practice to replace rather then repair fiberglass parts because it was close to the same price for replacement vs. labor+ materials to repair plus the fact that the skill wasn't as developed as much as it is today and was beyond many bodyshops of the day. FYI Dave Mathews is SAAC's very hard working 67 Shelby Registrar which is a few rungs up the ladder from a Rep. The best of luck with your car. Bob