Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 GT350's & GT500's stamped with the "Z"

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Snakepit, Aug 1, 2007.

1. firestanggt

firestanggt Well-Known Member

2510 has the Z.
    Inboadrs, completed 6/8/67, shipped to Dorchester MA.

2. jim13mac

jim13mac Member

Hi Firestanggt,
    My car, 2348 completed 5/24/67, was sold out of Robie Ford in Dorchester Mass. Is this where your car is from? I have been looking for information on this dealership and not been too successful. Do you have any info? Feel free to respond by private email.
    Jim

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

There is a problem with some of the evidence being presented. It has been very common over the years to switch from outboards to inboards. I spoke to a Shelby employee at the Portland conventions some years ago (I think he was the one I bought my employee badge from) he said his job was installing the grills and he said they had a stack of inboard grills and parts to use up and when they were used up they started installing all outboard grills . I asked him specifically about if he installed outboards on cars going to special States and his reply was "heck no we used the one pile up and then started on the pile with the different grills". This makes more sense then only putting outboard grills on cars destined to go to states that required it. This is similar to the situation with the scoop lights. Shelby didn't just ship cars with scoop lights to all states except CA were there was a problem .Shelby realized they had a problem and used up what they had in scoop light parts and then changed over to the non scoop light set up from then on. So it wasn't the first time this scenario has played out . I think almost all cars if not all cars after cars with VIN's in the late teens had outboards. The fact that a lot of cars with outboards and Z stamped on the vin tag is very interesting and we may never know for certain. New info is still being discovered every year dispelling misconceptions on these cars. The point I am making is since a lot of grills have been switched it is not prudent to use if inboard or outboard grill as a main criteria in trying to establish a link between the Z and if it was a inspection for cars suitable to ship or if it meant the car had outboards. I would also like to add that i was guilty of installing inboards on #1951 when i owned it in 1984 and after it went through several owners and sold to someone having Tango automotive restoring it a couple of years ago I had to listen to Tango tell me it always had inboards. I told him I had been the one to add them when I owned itand his only comment was he was going to leave it that way. I am positive many other cars have had their grills changed and the history being changed to " it was that way when I bought it so it must be original".

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  4. firestanggt

firestanggt Well-Known Member

very good point.
    I should add that mine is not a good car to compare to since it was wrecked in the 70's and probably 75% of the Shelby items with it came off another Shelby so it most likely was originally an outboard car.

5. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

thats odd that your car is such a low number #1207 shipped 7/25/67 and my car is #3000, Shipped 7/21/67. Or maybe its not odd since I understand Ford had a hard time sellling the 500's in 67?
    That would mean 1,793 cars were built after yours yet in the end #3000 was shipped before #1207. Only 4 days apart. Interesting.
    Jim

6. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hello to all on this thread! It may be the 8th wonder of the world,and I have to really doubt that there is any link to the Z and type of headlights installed.As I originally stated It means ZONE IMHO.Most logical and a simple way to track cars that were suppose to be sent out of california.As we have discovered this did not always go as planned,which explains why very few cars in california have a Z stamping.I am also curious by Bobs comment about cars with outboards in the teens? Maybe this should read thousands?All cars up to and includeing # 236 are inboard cars.The outboard grille was not in production until after jan. 1967.Maybe Dave has some info as to exact details for parts needed to make outboards like the different horns,and headlamp brackets?One of Dave's comments was that most cars had the Z,not that most were outboard equipped.Just my 2 cents P.D.

7. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Of course I meant over 1 thousand . Like 1800,1900. I am sorry I was not more precise. I have a bad habit of using short cuts or slang when referring to some of the things about theses cars and I forget that there might be people out there that are just learning that might misinterpret the meaning of these phrases. I will try and do better. There is enough misconception and and incorrect Urban legends about these cars for me to mistakenly adding to it. By the way the horns on outboard cars are the same as inboard cars the horns are just mounted differently . Least you knew they looked different. I learn new things all the time too.

8. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

I think this little survey has truely help show that it was not a headlight related mark but instead was related to a running change - VINs rather than the lights :thumbsup:

9. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Patty,
    Just for the record, the grille kit Ford sold over the counter to convert from inboard to outboard headlights was:
    C7ZZ 8210-A, GRILLE ASSEMBLY KIT – RADIATOR
    Consists of (1) S7MS 8210-B, Grille Assembly; (1) S7MS 8B322-B, Bracket - R.H. Headlamp; (1) S7MS 8B323-B, Bracket - L.H. Headlamp.

This kit was the one that was used when the headlights had to be reconfigured to comply with state laws. I personally saw at least one NOS kit still in the box a few years back.

10. BossBill

BossBill Member

01375, inboards, original plate, no Z.

11. Vinny

Vinny Active Member

I have # 1207 GT-500 with inboards and a "Z" preceding the Shelby Vin.

12. dodmort

dodmort Active Member

have to jump in if even late
    number 167
    inboard lights, big block
    no "z".

13. Shelby6t7

Shelby6t7 Well-Known Member

67 GT-500 #2868. "Z" preceding the Shelby VIN. Outboard light car. Completed 7/21, order received 9/13, Shipping date 9/25. Shipped to Pletcher Ford, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania.

Kenny B.
    SAAC 67 Concours Judge

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  14. Shelby6t7

Shelby6t7 Well-Known Member

Last picture was too small............

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      40.8 KB