Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 GT350's & GT500's stamped with the "Z"

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Snakepit, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

I've had numerous body men say they can align my trunk lid on my '67. I've allowed two to try.....and they each brought it back saying "I've got it the best I could do".....I just tell 'em, in a good-natured tone, 'told you so'.

Added note: I guess I should have been more detailed about #0029. It has inboards with a one-piece slanted grille.

2. r.dilabio

r.dilabio Member

Greetings folks! im not sure i follow this.When you see an original invoice from shelby,the most economical way to ship a car out of state was by rail,and maybe the Z had a dual meaning.First that it was complete-and met all requirements for its final destination,and second that it would be sent by rail if it was destined for an out of state dealer.Perhaps we should also be checking out invoices for this info...with orders that changed for any number of reasons,it could explain why so few california cars had the Z code.
    Did you see Steven Beckers low miler in the newest MM ?the story demonstrates that you did not always get what you ordered,and even if you waited longer it may not show up.I have similar comments from original owners who tried to delete the power steering option,and had no luck.I don't want to get side tracked--so i'll quit for now--

3. 67200F5A02206

67200F5A02206 Well-Known Member

GT350, #2206 with inboards has the "Z" stamping.

Was delivered to and sold in Albequeque NM. Don't know the exact date but the engine is date coded April 1967 so it was a pretty late car.

4. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

I bought # 2914 back in 1976, It is a GT 500 with an automatic and outboards and has the hand stamped "Z" at the beginning of the serial number. The car was shipped from the Shelby plant to Long Beach Ford which is only about 30 miles away.

5. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

My #3000 is stamped with "Z" . Came with outboards, converted to inboards.
    Jim

6. Shelby~gt350#3000

more info on #3000, STARTED PRODUCTION 6/27/67. Completed and shipped shipped 7/21/67 to Larsen Ford NY.
    Jim

7. cbollinger62

cbollinger62 New Member

#552 - with Z, big block, inboards, 2-piece grill, no a/c with louvered hood

I had heard a while back that the Z meant a/c. My car was a non-a/c car per the vin but a/c was added (not sure if by dealer).

8. LateGT500

LateGT500 Member

Jeff,
    3206 with outboards and stamped with the Z
    Thanks,
    JIM:thumbup:

9. mherman2

mherman2 Well-Known Member

10. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Thoughts.... well yes. First about the "rail " comment, had not considered and have looked into it a little deeper - yes there were many that were moved from LA to other parts of the country by rail. As for much of the west other methods appear to have been used as we saw in earlier years.

Haven't heard (or at least recall) the Shelby address listed in your invoice in MI. I have found some oddities in invoices related to addresses and dealership names (usage of names and dates have not always matched up)

Not sure if Shelby was back dating stuff at times ;)

One interesting story I'm starting to follow down is a story of the dozen or so 67 Shelbys that were in a train wreck that were later repaired and resold.

11. r.dilabio

r.dilabio Member

Howdy again! I think you are finally catching on to the original point about the Z code cars.Most out of state new car sales were sent by rail in groups.Not only was it cheaper,it allowed shelby to use the transporter for the local hauls,and the transportation of the race fleet.It is often mentioned that Shelby did very little for the street cars,most of his time was spent devoted to the race cars---especially the ford gt effort for le mans in 66 and 67.For info an a damaged rail car that was repaired/sold check out 2621.It
    is one of the cars,and belonged to Mike Dodge,I think he still owns it.I am wondering if these cars affect the total production numbers?My Marti report says only 1174 G.T.350's were built,not 1175 as we have always read in the registry.Another thing mentioned by Snakepit is date mismatch,and this seems quite possible as you read the registry,several cars have the dates twisted(for lack of a better term)The original owners we have interviewed over the years mention not getting the exact car they ordered,sometimes color,or options were wrong,and they were tired of waiting,so they accepted what was sent to them.Were'nt the 60's fun!:guitar:

12. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Well,
    #1317 was ordered by a L.A. dealer in Westwood and
    delivered to an inventory they had at Pico Rivera.
    It has a Z on the plate and I bought it when it was 10 years old in
    Huntington Beach, CA. It had Thermactor (402F) like I guess
    all cars for CA had to have. The only way that this car would fit
    your rail assumption would be that it was in that assumed train wreck
    and sent back to Shelby for repair and stayed in CA.
    Could explain the almost 5 months between being ready at Shelby
    and ordered by the dealer. However, there should be some
    paper work at Shelby that SAAC probably would have found
    that would have given another dealer name and destination, if the above
    would have happened.
    /Texas Swede

13. r.dilabio

r.dilabio Member

Hey to texas! I think your car was sent to the holding yard in pico rivera as were many cars that shelby completed,awaiting a car matching this color/option combo to be ordered by someone.Commonly known as a stock unit.If financing failed to materialize or the customer pulled the deal for any reason,it would explain the time delay.Another possible explanation is it was planned as an out of state car,and ended up staying in california because it is a thermactor equipped car,which had to stay.Also 1 known car has the Z bracket for the battery-apron,and it is a 350 This is a great example of how many brains find the answer(s) Keep it real! R.D.:confused:

14. Shelby~gt350#3000

i think the original people from the Shelby assembly line are laughing their butts off at all this, probably saying "getting warmer" or "not even close", can someone please call Carroll and get the answer?..:p :thumbup:

15. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Might want to try calling someone that was around when the cars were being done instead.

;)

16. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

Do you mean that CS was not around when these cars received the Z stamp :rolleyes: ?!

17. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I think what was meant by asking " someone that was around" was that CS was not usually into small details in the assembly of the cars he was more into the promotion and the the big picture ideas. As he always admits he surrounded himself with talented people that took care of the details. Bob G.

18. jim13mac

jim13mac Member

GT350 #2348 has the "Z" stamped on the VIN, original outboard car, now has inboards however. Was sent by rail to Mass.
    Jim

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  19. shelby73

shelby73 Active Member

67 #2134 has a Z stamp and inboards and automatic

20. Vinny

Vinny Active Member

I own #1207. A GT 500 with inboards. The car was completed 5/12/67 and shipped 7/25/67 to Loud Ford in Pasadena, California. Sold 10/31/67. I bought the car in October of '74. It has the "Z" preceeding the Shelby serial #. Another "Z" car sold in California ! It also has the trim tag riveted on the driver-side door jam.