Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 GT 500 Serial Number help.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by TWF454, Jul 9, 2007.

1. TWF454

TWF454 Member

What I need help on is what is the highest serial number a 67 500 can have?
    From the production numbers I have found there were 3225 total Shelbys produced in 67. Of these there were 1175 350's and 2048 500's this totals 3223 total units. I have found a 67 with the 3223 serial number on it could this be the last one for 67??

Thanks T.W.

2. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Re: 67 GT 500 Serial Number help.

Probably not if the two prototype cars that Shelby produced (Lil Red, the '67 coupe and the prototype for the '68 convertable) were counted in the total production for '67. That might account for the descrepancy between 3223 and 3225. One of our other members with a bit more knolledge than be me should be able answer this. 3223 would still be one of the last cars produced and as such is a still a significant find.

3. sfm5s159

sfm5s159 Active Member

Doesn't the registry answer this? I don't have mine at the office...though I should really keep a copy here! It seems like a simple question for Dave Matthews, the SAAC '67 registrar.
    MC

4. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

Yes...i would consult Dave Mathews. He has all the files on the 67's and could answer this very easily.

5. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

97 registry shows 3223 as a GT500 with a Oregon history. ...undergoing restoration @ 87... with 427 med riser.

originallly a white car, blk int, outboards, plain hood, 10 spokes, no air

fyi 3224 was a 350, 3225 was last California built 500,

6. TWF454

TWF454 Member

Thanks for the info. I contacted Dave Mathews about this car #3223 and was informed that it was indeed wrecked early in it's life and was rebodied. What I found is the original chassis and body hidden in a 67 fastback. It has been this way at least 33 years that I know of. The only major sign of being wrecked is the replacment of the left pannel from the shock tower forward which took out the Shelby numbers on this side.
    Thanks TW

7. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

Sounds like an owner of a rebodied Shelby is about to get his car relisted as an "air car", and you, my lucky friend, will be the owner of the true Shelby.
    Keep us informed.

8. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

You know it's going to be tougher than that...Who has the original VIN tag?
    Did they cut the Ford VIN out as well? Where is the title?
    VIN # on Block?

I would say that the new car is not an AIR car but completely re-bodied, but this is one big can O worms. The owner who is in the registry that claims this # would be smart to buy this guys car right now!
    In any case a great find indeed!

Mike

9. sfm5s159

sfm5s159 Active Member

Interesting situation! The "real" original body should bear the SFM stamped in the pass side at the shock tower as well as the VIN under the fender I think. It would seem to me that you have the real car. How would this go unnoticed for all these years? The SFM stamped on the right side is usually easily seen by anyone looking under the hood. What about the roll bar and the rest of the Shelby stuff? If the only part replaced was the LF apron, how would the car be a total? Something seems a little odd to me...
    But then again, the truth is stranger than fiction sometimes!

MC

10. TWF454

TWF454 Member

The serial number under the passenger fender is 7R02Q****** and the Shelby number which was covered with several layers of paint is 03223. It still has the Shelby tail lights, the rubber bumpers under the leaf springs and the mounting holes where the roll bar was. Under the carpet it is Wimbelton white the original color.

TW.

11. sfm5s159

sfm5s159 Active Member

Sounds like the real deal then.
    I always look for the rubber bumpers above the rear springs. I don't think anyone has re-popped them and many people don't know to look.
    It's the first place I look....
    Did the seller know what he had?
    MC

12. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

The anti-wind up bumpers have been repoped for the last few years now. Witch is a shame, that was the first thing I would look for when buying a 67 too.

Nice find TWF454! Good luck with it. This is the stuff dreams and nighmares are made of. Hope it work out well for both partys.

Larry

13. tpbuckley

tpbuckley New Member

Dear Shelby Owner,

Interesting thread. I was the second owner of this vehicle. I purchased it out of Micminville, Oregon in 1986. I know the whole story of the rebody so if you're interested, please email me.

Sincerely,

Tim Buckley

14. gt2920

gt2920 New Member

After searching Registry this car (3223), was one of ten completed almost three months after 3225. With few in between. Makes one wonder why the late build by SA.

15. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

tpbuckley: if you have stories, photos, letters, then do tell all that to the 67 registrar. It will be what is known. Right now, does the registrar know anything about YOUR ownership time?

What is so significant about this number? Two from the end. What makes history is the chain of ownership, who used to do what with this car, wins, losses, wrecks etc. If there is a rebody out here, that will need to be determined by other experts as to what the real one is.