Join Shelby Forums Today

Need Measurements for 67 GT 350 Side Stripes?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rcgt350, Jun 16, 2007.

1. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

Putting on new side stripes on my 67gt350. Anyone know the correct measuement for placement on these. The Shelby registry seems a little vague for 67.
    Thanks Randy

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I believe it is 1/4 of an inch UP from the bottom of the Door lip. It's the fender portion of the Stripe that is strange. The side Stripes are three stripes: a wide center stripe with 2 smaller stripes flanking it. I have some original photos in a Book and there are several Photos showing the Fender Stripe. Some show NO center Stripeon the Fender before the G.T. 350/G.T. 500 Logo and about 4" of the center Stripe from the Logo to the wheel opening. Some photos show the center Stripe is pretty much even on either side of the Logo on the Fender.

3. tesgt350

If it is the LeMans Stripes you are refering to, here are the Measurements for the 1965-1966 models, they should be the same for 1967. <> From FRONT to BACK: They are a straight 2" inches apart all the way. Front Valance, Stone Gaurd & Grill Support = 9 1/4". Front of Hood = 10 1/4" inches. Rear of Hood = 10 1/2" inches. Front of Roof = 10 1/2" inches. Rear of Roof = 10 3/8" inches. Trunk Lid (at Back Glass) = 12 1/8" inches. Deck lid (at tail panel) 10" inches. Tail Panel & Rear Valcnace = 10" inches. Hope this helps.

4. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

The original 67 brochure shows the Lime Green car with no centre strip behind the GT350 designation. Shelby registry specs for 67 says the centre stripe starts on the edge of the door, and 1/2" space between the edge of the fender and the side of the G or 0. As far as height placement, they only mention for the 68. Bottom edge of narrow stripe is 1/8" above the bottom edge of the door. Maybe it's the same for all years.

This is the rocker stripes I am referring too, not the LeMans stripes.
    Randy

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Great reference dimensions for all the years are in the back of the Tony D Branda catalog (thanks Tony!) He got permission from SAAC to do that. These are also in the 1997 SAAC registry.

There is a special way about the "GT 350/ GT 500" on the front fender in that, at the door-to-fender gap there is no center section of the stripe showing. This means the lettering/numerals should have a 1/2" gap between the door to fender gap. This is forward of where the lettering starts, or stops, depending on which side you are on. And in that segment, there is no center stripe of the three.

There illustrations show no "how high up" in the 67, But, the 68" drawings state 1/8" up from the door bottom.
    And, be careful. The new stripes seem the be a little shorter, so you have to lay them out to make sure they are gonna fit. Originally, they wrapped way around the edges, now, they seemed to have save a couple of inches so watch out.

AND: thinking of buy some old -old NOS stripes on ebay?? These lose their stickyness making them useless. Watch out for that real old stuff.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  6. tesgt350

I am looking at old origanal Advertisements with Carroll Shelby in them leaning against the Shelby and they show the Fender Stripe. Two Ads are for a 1966 Fastback G.T. 350 and Two Ads are for a 1968 GT500 KR Fastback. One 1966 and 1968 has NO Center Stripe between the Door and the Logo and the others have what appears to be about 1 1/2 inches of Center Stripe on the Fender between the Door and the Logo. SO......it seems to come down to who ever installed them because both ways seem to be correct since the Ads are original and have Carroll Shelby in them. There is a couple of other Ads with the 1967 Shelby with the same two types of Stripe Placements but Carroll Shelby is not in the Ads. Another proof of this is in the "Shelby Buyers Guide" by Richard J. Kopec (Copieright 1981).

7. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Howdy! this is simple and roddster has given the proper dimentions . 1/2" is correct with no center stripe before the G on the passenger side,or the O on the drivers side.I measured my original paint car/stripe placement is 5 1/4" from the bottom edge of the fender to the lowest edge of the stripe.I held a straight edge along the lower part of the fender,then measured up to the lowest thin stripe.I normally lay a base line down with 1/4" masking tape before i begin peeling out new stripes.this lets you see a straight line to lay the new stipes against.Also to ensure they are straight..do this with the car on the ground,not on jack stands.A drive on ramp hoist is ideal if you could use one.
    this puts the car at a nice height and lets you sight things really well.The best picture example is of the dark green car with Shelby standing beside it.We believe this is car # 003.Several of the pictures of other years vary alot.Much of this is from when they added the H for the Hertz cars in 66,and the KR for 68.The 67 section in the registry on page 1285 isnt vague,it is simple..now good luck!

8. tesgt350

Well, I will have to get the 1965 to 1968 Magazine Ads used for NEW Shelby Mustangs scaned and get them posted because half of the Ads show the Shelby Mustangs WITH the Center Stripe on the Fender in front of the Doors and half of the Ads show it with no Center Stripe in front of the Doors. The Shelby's were Advertised, when NEW, both ways. So it I guess it should be what the Owner likes best.

9. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

10. tesgt350

Just look at old magazine Advertisements (and Press Photos) by Shelby American and Ford Motor Company for the 1965 to 1968 Shelby Mustangs......... Both Stripe installations are shown, depending on which Advertisement you look at, so BOTH would be correct, no matter what anyone else says.

11. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

You are right. The original ads show both ways for the 67 Gt 350's and the GT 500's. No stripe between the letters and the door and also with the stripe. I personally believe that they came from Shelby both ways. The 67's are the most screwed up cars that were made. I don't think that they're were two built exactly alike. Did they have brake scoops, who knows. Can anybody tell me when the inboard lights were no longer used, bet not. Was the interior white or parchment, who knows. Did the inboard grill have eyebrows over the headlight openings or what exactly was the grill like. Another guess. I could probably go on for quite awhile but I hope you get my point.
    Frank

[​IMG]

12. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hey again:This is an idea..check out the shelby buyers guide..page 40 shows the lime gold G.T.350 with hubcaps...and no center stripe ! look at page 61 which shows a G.T.500 with magstars also with no center stripe.on page 41 the 68 is the same..and we know it was done pre production to get some ink--magazine coverage.As i mentioned earlier..the difference is from year to year..65 style was wider, had painted stripes with G.T.350 in tape,and most had no center stripe.66 was the first all sticker type--this was ok until they needed room for the H to designate a hertz car.also S for the supercharged car..but it did not make production.67 was a record year for production and we all know there are lots of running changes all year long as cougar mentions..they had a hard time filling orders and getting cars to the dealers on time.So to make it quick and simple for 67 white cars got blue stripes,all other cars got white stripes and the layout was 1/2" from the fender edge.

13. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion but magazine and media cars are often poor examples to copy for production cars. Since some of these were preproduction cars the real cars available to tbe public often varied from them . Plenty of examples over on the Mustang side also.

As I know no original production Shelby has turned up with the center stripe on the side stripe - early or late cars.

No concours organization currently accept anything but side stripes without the center stripe between the door and the digits.

14. Snakepit

Interesting that it has the chrome appointments

Friend has a black on black X code Cal Spec sitting in a hanger

15. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

You are probably right about the judging, but that still doesn't prove what was and what wasn't done. Remember, the cars were produced by people and it could be possible that the two sides of the same car were different.

Frank

16. Snakepit

Guess we will just have to disagree. :dance:

And saying it was possible does not make it so. ;) Heck its "possible" that a 67 Shelby could have a 6 cylinder installed.

We have some examples of "mistake cars" but just because one car got through (and we have no examples offered as of yet) does it mean another was built.

In general most of the effort in setting up rules and judging, from my experience, is based on the best information available, original cars, documentation and experience. I'll choose to go with that rather than "it could have been".

17. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Jeff is absolutely correct. In the case of 68s which use the center stripe before and after the lettering ,almost all the preproduction pics. brochures, dealer literature etc. show the stripes as the 67 version with no center bar before lettering but AFAIK no production cars came that way. Some 68 preduction photos show other details like 67 style cable retainer hoodpins and front fender mount antennas.

18. tesgt350

The people setting up the Judging Rules were probably looking at an unrestored Shelby that did not have the center Stripe between the Doors and the Logos so that is how they wrote it for judging. I have seen both ways on unrestored Shelbys for all years from 1965 to 1968 in all Models (including the 1965 R models), except the Green G.T. 350S model. So yes, we will just have to Disagree, but thats ok.

19. s2ms

s2ms Well-Known Member

Are you only referring to 67's here? I have several mag test articles showing 66's with a center stripe between the door and the G.T.350 logo. It's also pretty clear these cars are regular production cars.

20. 1175

1175 Well-Known Member

I'm sure he is referring to 67's only.
    Jon