Join Shelby Forums Today

The new model Ford GT?

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by bitzman, Jun 10, 2007.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

According to a British magazine, Octane, and a website called Car Connection
    there is a new final GT model called the 600RE, put together by Roush Europe who were the ones making the Ford GTs shipped from Dearborn legal for UK and Continental owners.

Only ten were made of this GT 600RE with the 600 logically referrring to the hp. and RE to Roush Europe.

Mods over the previous ones Roush legalized are a new exhaust system, tinted glass, color-keyed hoses under the hood, and black powder-coated wheels. Unique identity plaques are also available.

The speed is quoted at 0-to- 60 mph in 3.4 seconds but top speed is stll restricted to 205 mph.

The 600RE costs around $300,000, $40,000 more than the standard car was, and reportedly two have already been sold.

One wonders if these ten cars were leftover cars unsold out of the allotment of 101 GTs sent to Europe or whether when the Ford GT was still in production these were reserved by Roush just for this purpose? In a way iRoush putting his name on the GT is a slap at Saleen, who actually built much of the GT for Ford in Detroit but since Saleen has now been booted out of the firm that bears his name he wasn't in a position to carry on with the Ford GT and make Saleen-branded versions. Looks like Roush had the last laugh...

2. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

Roush bought up ten ( 10 ) of the Ford GT's that were still in inventory
    and unsold. They are providing some extra muscle in the engine and a few Roush do-dads for the interior to let you know you have the extra special
    model. At a rather healthy price of course.
    shlby66

3. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I just read a Story that stated "Saleen Retired and steps down" and is no longer on the Board. Was he Booted? If so what is the story. I was under the impression that he pretty much "Sold Out" so he could build the Saleen S7 and figured his time was up so he steped down at the end of some contract.

4. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

I think he was "givin' the old heave-ho". He was running the company into
    bankruptcy with his spending habits and the board wouldn't condone it
    any longer. Any other thoughts or remarks on this, GT350PS ?
    shlby66

5. cobra427

cobra427 Well-Known Member

Saleen Inc has had financal problems for awhile now, He has been looking for a way out for awhile. He just wants to race cars, so now maybe thats what he will do. I agree, for Roush to buy a car that Saleen built, (or at least had a hand it), and do some changes and put his name on it is a low blow. Saleen also did alot of things for Ford with the new Shelby that few know about. With Saleen making more and more cars, maybe it was all just too much, I think Steve just wanted to make a few high perfornamce mustangs so he could support his racing.

6. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

As I understood it, Roush had a hand in the development of the powertrain for the original GTs anyway. They did the integration work and control calibration on behalf of FMC - Part of the 'Dream Team' that developed the vehicle for Ford.

At least that's what I thought - could be wrong...:blink:

7. tesgt350

Well......Look what Roush did when he built the 360R,
    380R, the 440A and the New Roush. He used Lemans Strips and Side Strips like the Shelby's, When advertising the 360R he even used a Shelby Mustang in the Ad. The 2005 to 2007 Roush Mustangs still use the Lemans Strips and now they have a Hood Scoop the resembles the 1965/66 Shelby G.T 350's. If you look at the front of the 2005 to 2007 Saleen Mustangs, they look a lot like the 1967 Eleanor. I think it is funny that they have to use Shelby styling to sell cars when they have always said (about there Mustangs) that, when it comes to style and performance, there is nothing like it. It just goes to show that Shelby styling will always be the foundation that others will work off of.

8. tesgt350

Pretty much everyone had a hand in the design of the GT, Shelby, Roush, Saleen and a couple of others that I can't remember that do not work for Ford. Oh.....Ford people had a hand in it to........LOL.

9. cobra427

cobra427 Well-Known Member

Saleen had a big hand in the GT project. Saleen custon build many parts for the car and hand built the cars for Ford at the Michigan plant. Jack Roush should stick to NASCAR, he is just copying what Saleen did just to make a few bucks.

10. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Steve Saleen's departure from the company with his name, though owned by others, was not unexpected. He had already gone and recovered from past business bankrupcies. Racing in expensive, especially if you are the primary sponsor. Roush figured out how to make racing make him money, Steve apparently did not. So now he is going to be importing cars from China.(see various automotive news bulletins).

In Hawaii, Saleen, Inc. gave us a three business day notice of cancellation to being a scheduled Grand Marshall to our May 20th car show in Hawaii. As the "ambassador and spokesman" for Saleen, Inc., according to the retirement press release, one would expect him to still attend. So much for all our posters, press releases, shirts, etc. and Saleen, Inc. professional business practices. By the way within the first year of Ford GT production, the Saleen staff was completely internally replaced to correct problems.

Roush has had a long time SVT shop connection with Ford. Remember the SVT Cobra Mustang engine modifications were acquired from Roush. But they also had production problems also resulting in the suspension of 2000 SVT Cobra production after less than 800 units.

Stripes, notwithstanding, both Roush and Saleen have produced and continue to produce some great Ford Mustangs and trucks and have given us some exciting choices. There is plenty of room and competitive excitement for both in the Pony stables.

Now if Ford would just resolve the frame and door problem with the GR-1 and get it in to production as the expected followup to the Ford GT...We are still waiting.B)

11. tesgt350

In 1999 we had a regular production Cobra, in 2000 we had only the Cobra R and only 300 were built. In 2001 we had the regular production Cobra, in 2002 No Cobra was built, then in 2003 & 2004, we had regular production Cobras that were Super Charged.