Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby Lancer Predecessor?

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by GT52, May 18, 2007.

1. GT52

GT52 Active Member

Before all you real Shelby Lancer guys have a hissy fit, let me explain what I have. In ’86 Dodge built a Lancer “Pacifica” that really was the predecessor of the ‘87 Shelby Lancer. The Pacificas were loaded with virtually every accessory available, had what would become the Shelby body package, but lacked the Shelby wheel and interior package, and the intercooled turbo. There were 500 built, all sold in California, and every one was “Pacifica white”. I have a Xerox copy of the original showroom literature that confirms all this.

I’ve had one of these for the last 16 years and to this day use it more or less as my only car. I’m trying to figure out a good way to sell it. The trouble that I have is that they are so rare that they don’t even appear in any of the price guides. I don’t know where I could advertise it where anyone would actually “find” it…not a lot of people are searching for ’86 Dodge Lancers. I’m definitely not trying to get rich here, I mainly just don’t want the car to end up as someone’s “commuting beater”. The car has ~125k miles on it but looks, drives, and runs like 25k…it has excellent original paint and interior and has been garaged and meticulously cared for its entire life.

The bad news, and the reason I want to get rid of it, is that it is an automatic and the transmission is weak and is going to need a rebuild soon. It runs and drives and at this point you absolutely would not know it if I didn’t tell you, but I’m not into cheating anybody. For personal health reasons I’m not going to fix it myself. Kragen and Autozone have rebuilts for under $900…if you’re a transmission guy you could do it for the price of a kit. For the right person, this is a great opportunity to own something genuinely rare and collectible for price of a REALLY cheap used car.

I haven’t put it in the classifieds on this site because it’s not really a Shelby and I’m looking for other ideas. I had always thought I would take it to Barrett Jackson, just to see what would happen, but I wouldn’t do that with the trans the way it is. Anybody interested in it or know someone who might be? Anybody have a good idea for selling it?

2. rare_ram

rare_ram Well-Known Member

Post on the Turbo sites, it is a turbo right? boostedmopar, turbomopar and turbododge.

3. GT52

GT52 Active Member

Thanks, that's just the sort of things I was looking for.

Yes, the car is a turbo, and I forgot to mention that it's located in northern California.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

4. rare_ram

rare_ram Well-Known Member

Maybe e-bay, but posting on the TD sites is free.