Join Shelby Forums Today

Front license plate for GT500

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by mitchell, May 2, 2007.

1. mitchell

mitchell New Member

In texas you must have a front license plate, I just can't drill a hole in the front bumper. Is a different bracket available that attaches to the underside of the bumper and then comes forward and up to hold a license plate.

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Yes, someone posted a thread with pictures of one or two brackets specifically created for the GT500 and a link to where to buy them. Search and you will find it.

I will post the link when I find it.

3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

4. dmctag

dmctag Member

Hello
    Check out the brackets I have developed for the Shelby GT500. I have two styles one more ecconomical than the other.

These brackets mount through the lower grill. The is insufficient bumper extending above the lower grill to mount a bracket. I designed these using 3D computer design and both look great.

Both are in stock and I am shipping all over USA. Shipping is included.
    Spread the news.
    dmctag@sympatico.ca
    Doug

Attached Files:

5. mrdoc442

mrdoc442 Well-Known Member

Just get some industrial strength Velcro for each corner of the plate/plate bracket-whatever, or however much you think you need to use, fairly easily removed with no damage to the facia.

Doc

6. dmctag

dmctag Member

Hi Guys
    These brackets are excellent quality and mount easily. Shipping is included in the cost and I have shipped to owners in CA, Texas, NY and other areas.

You can try to rig up a cheap solution but at 130 mph you may need a bit more than velcro holding on.

Let me know if I can ship you a bracket as well.
    Doug

7. mrdoc442

For those in the U.S who own Shelby's, and are not trying to set land speed records on the street, industrial grade velcro is absolutely not intrusive/easy to remove, very effective, and inexpensive.

Doc

8. ThomasShelby

ThomasShelby New Member

Industrial strength adhesive velcro sheets. Cut out the shape of the plate and apply to the back of the plate and the other piece on the bumper.

9. mrdoc442

Yep. All you really need is a strip/strips around the outside of the back of the plate, and for that matter, it wouldn't have to go border to border. As long as you have all sides covered, there are many patterns you might use Such as an inch or two or three at each corner and maybe the same in the middle of the plate on all sides. Or if you wanted to be super cautious, all the way around the plate with one inch or two inch industrial strength Velcro may be a little over kill, but you could rest assured it willl not blow off easily. You could even add an X in the middle of the plate for more balance/adherence. Covering the whole back of the plate would really be overkill, but whatever works for you. Just cut the Velcro to size, stick which ever side you choose to the plate after removing the protective strip, attach the other side of the Velcro to the Velcro on the plate, remove the other protective strip, line the plate up on your cars bumper, and press it down firmly, wait for 5 minutes for the Velcro to set, and you're good to go. It takes about 24 hours for Velcro to reach maximum strength. Use the industrial strength Velcro. It is water proof unless submerged in water. Make sure you line it up well the first time as if you have to unstick, and restick the Velcro, it looses adherence. Better to start over with new Velcro on the side that goes on the bumper if that happens.

I had my temporary paper lic plate, the really thin paper, actually it was computer printer paper printed off the computer, attached with scotch tape on the front of my car, and it was actually a job getting it off. Of course it did not have to endure any wet conditions.

Lots of racers use Velcro with great success.

The nice thing about the velcro, is you can remove the plate, if and when you choose to, or the Velcro, with a little heat from a blow dryer, and not damage your front or rear bumper.

Good luck.

Doc

10. dmctag

dmctag Member

Hello
    Anyone that is interested in an assembly to bolt on an mount to the lower grill please contact me at my email. I recognize that you can in fact mount your plate as indicated above however it is not the same as mounted.

Email dmctag@sympatico.ca

Thankyou

11. dmctag

dmctag Member

Hello Guys

I have a couple of pics for you of two types of license brackets.

A001 Aluminum/ Stainless design, $150 CAD including shipping

A002 Aluminum/ Black ABS design, $250 CAD including shipping

email me at dmctag@sympatico.ca for more information.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

12. BODC

BODC Member

If you find such a thing please let me know as well... I am desperate to find something where I don't have to drill a couple of holes in my bumper...

13. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Look at the post above yours. He has the plastic ones in stock. Talked to him today. Can ship anytime.

14. BODC

BODC Member

For some reason I couldn't see all of the other posts when I initialy replied. I think it was because I had just signed up to the forum maybe...

$150 for a bracket?

Geez, I hope I find a better way than either a $150 bracket or velcro... I would also think that you don't want to block off too much of the intercooler area. Increased IATs and you lose timing and thus horse power...

15. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

How about buying two "L" Brackets from Home Depot ($3.00) and bolt them to the Front Bumper. You simply drill the holes UNDER the Bumper area that is above the Lower Grill. The holes will be totally hidden and you then use a small Bolt & Lock Nut to bolt the Tag to the two Brakets. Depending on how you want to hang your Tag, you can point the "L" Brackets up or down.
    David.

16. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

Why do we need a front lic plate? I have lived in CA all my life and have never run a front plate...keep it in behind the front seat and if you get pulled over and asked about it...just present it. I like that idea better then a ton of industrial-grade velcro on my front bumper or some CNC'd braket....just my 2 cents...

17. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Some Cops are not that nice.......LOL.
    David.

18. BODC

BODC Member

I have been in a situation where I didn't have a front plate on a previous mustang because I bought an aftermarket bumper and I didn't want to drill holes in it. The officer didn't appreciate my view and I got a ticket...

As far as buying two L brackets for $3... I don't see where you would bolt it to. The bumper area where you "should" put a plate is covered by the grill. I am not sure that I would want to put a plate on the splitter and cover a portion of the intercooler area. Its hot here and I know how important it is from previous built cars...

19. dmctag

dmctag Member

Hello
    Is there anyone interseted in a Front license plate bracket? NO DRILLING!
    Doug
    dmctag@sympatico.ca