Join Shelby Forums Today

barn find - 1969 GT500

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by ravenbalck, May 2, 2007.

1. ravenbalck

ravenbalck Well-Known Member

Re: barn find

Bob this Dashpad with Nubers Either C593F or G593F ( a replacement ???? )
    being a concours Judge ,have you seen many that have similer numbers to what i have on my car , not bragging here ,but is it a possibilty that this dashpad being built for this car in 1968 is one of the first dashpads ,with numbers that did not have UT as these numbers were used when the car went into Mass production 69/70 , this car has not been restored and i would lean towards the dashpad being the prototype dashpad made for the prototype vehicle unless proven wrong , take in consideration there are several parts on the car that have different numbers on them , Eg; Rimblo steering wheel ,
    Are there any other Forum Members who have Similer Numbers to mine under their dashpad , that are willing to comment on numbers they have .... Maybe post a Picture of their Numbers for all of us to see
    J L

2. ravenbalck

Re: barn find dash pad info

Bob Forgot to mentoin THANK YOU Very Much , this is great information , something i never new and for all forum members who own one or are looking for a 69/70 gt500 , another nice point to look for . J L:rolleyes:

3. ravenbalck

this is a picture of the rear wheel
    the make of the rim is SIMMONS Australian retro wheel
    the rubber i have on the rear is 265/50R15 12 " inch rubber
    nice rim , thought i should post close up pic for posted replys on wheels .
    Obviously the Geniune wheels / caps look great on the car ....
    J L

Attached Files:

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The letter and the 4 digit number are similiar to other replacement dash pads I have seen I don't recall seeing two numbers alike. The prototype you have is a proto type Shelby which was made after the regular Mustang would have had it's various parts OK'd and finalized at Ford.Regular mustang production started gearing up in aug of 1968 so many regular mustangs were built during that time. I would not be surprised to see various components that were unique to a 69 Shelby that were prototype parts but I would not expect any part on the Shelby that normally was not changed from Mustang to Shelby to be anything other then the normal parts seen on a early production 69 Mustang .There are numerious differences between a early 69 production regular mustang and later production 69 mustangs just like there are many differences between early production 69 Shelby and later production 69 Shelby. The dashpad was not Shelby unique and with the conversion to right hand drive once it was in your country, who knows how much was changed. It would be interesting to study the Shelby proto type differences up close. Maybe someday I can go down under and see.

5. ravenbalck

Bob would love to have this vehicle inspected by a SAAC representative .
    maybe this car will be sent to usa for further vewing , it would be teriffic either way , as for the number it is a letter 3 digits and a letter not as you quoted a letter and 4 digits , might this make a difference ...
    J L

6. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I would love to have a chance to do that some day. I think the Dash pad you discribed is a service part.I don't think that is the place to look for any signifigant proto type differences . My best guess would be tha differences would in the fiberglass and the way it was manufactured or the Shelby interior pieces. Check the hood at the front by the hood catch. There should be a engineering number cast into the fiberglass or maybe not if a proto type piece. If it does have a engineering number what is it? These are some of the things I would look at if inspecting the car.

7. ravenbalck

Thanks for all the replys on this post .
    this is my last post on this PROTOTYPE Mustang, i would like to share with all forums members , what is equivalent to the shelby in Australia , we have many shelbys in Australia and going from my prototype they began entering Australia in the years as this car was being produced , my question is how many GTHO Phase3 are in United States of America , and do not get me wrong ,by far the shelby automobile is most superior to the
    GTHO ,(one of 300 Built ) what came after this in USA the
    1972 R 351C-4V HO Very rare, solid lifters MACH 1
    How many of these still around ?
    B)Enjoy the Drive .......
    J L
    http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=DC2HOTIDADXC1A45
    YouTube - $1,000,000 XY GTHO Phase 3
    http://www.falcongtclub.org/PaintCodesXWXY.asp

8. shelbyman2351

shelbyman2351 Well-Known Member

Well I do not get to this Forum enough. This is the first I read of this prototype. So I read that he has been posting here on this car since May and shows the members only 1 pic of the car? What gives??? I agree with Bob about the dash. just because its a prototype doesn't mean the dash is original to the car. Heck I have seen a few very low mileage cars that had cracked dashes replaced. How does ravenblack know the dash wasn't replaced in the last 30 years? Anyways I wish he would have posted more pics of the interior,engine and trunk. I would be curious on the spare tire since i saw one of the boss 302 Shelby prototypes(9F02G48xxxx) back around 1984 and it had the original 5 spoke shelby wheel and tire as the spare. That car had a boss 302 body and full shelby interior with the shelby wheels. I heard that the last owner was restoring it as a Shelby body with all Shelby glass which isn't the way the car came. I knew the second owner and he verified from the original Ford engineer owner that thats the way it left the factory-the way I saw it. I guess some people like to rewrite history. Gary

9. ravenbalck

Hey Gary what gives:blink:
    looks like you have posted outrageously since you joined in 2006
    with many pictures ,why do you not, post pictures of the
    302 Shelby prototypes(9F02G48xxxx) and let me compare . you would have had to have a picture of this car to compare since you saw that car some 22years ago :alarm: share it with us all mate :thumbup:
    and also another thing how easy is it if i posted pictures for anyone to copy the prototype and rebirth or robody a shell ( in the likes of GT500E ) if they had tags handy , ask yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gary would you post any pictures , you have posted so many on this forum:thumbdown what gives , do not sound like you give mate.:eek:
    JL
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=320225152542&rd=1
    :thumbsup:

10. shelbyman2351

Cute. Well back 24-NOT 22 years ago we didn't have the internet, digital cameras and the like. What are you getting at on that bossshelby? Just say it. Don't beat around the bush. First off, I do not have pics of MOST of the cars I had owned back then never mind other people's cars. If, indeed, you read my posts you would understand why I did not have pics of this car. Number one, I didn't own it. Number 2 I never took pics of other people's cars. I wish I did because I could have documented a lot of original cars back then. Just too much hassle to shoot, take in and have developed. Jeff disappeared back to Tn anyways right after he bought the car. A pic is posted elsewhere on forums when Huisman owned it in the early 90s. Besides, leave this discussion where it belongs-in other links in this forum and in the Boss 302 forum. Unless your prototype is hid for the rest of your years owning it then someone WILL snap it and it will get out. I'll ask a few of my friends from down under to shoot some of your car for me when they see it. Gary

11. ravenbalck

Gary , make sure you post those pics for everyone to see .:thumbsup:

12. ravenbalck

hey gary i thought you said you never had a picture of it .
    yo did post this picture did you not mate ?????:p

Attached Files:

13. shelbyman2351

I planned on ignoring you but since I'm a nice guy and this post started about your car I'll tell you I pulled that off another forum. The truck in the background was George's from CDC. Pic looks like Milan dragway. Plate on the car is a Mi. plate when George owned it. Person who took the pic said it was the boss shelby.If you look closely you will see the rollbar thru the qtr window and it has the very rare 1969 Boss 302 spoiler on it(check the bow in the center).

I was over my mechanic's garage ( a Ford guy owns various vintage Fords including about a half dozen Stangs) getting drums turned for my 1968 Shelby(virgin never cut 2" 69 CJ models) when the discussion of this car came up. He was shown this car in 1984 by a mutual friend and Ford employee who researched this car for Jeff back then. He also remembers the sheet metal front end. I asked him if he or our mutual friend shot photos of it back then and he just laughed and said nobody ever thought to take pics of these cars back then. Ditto.

14. ravenbalck

No one said ( you were not a nice guy gary )
    we love the 351 Clevelands here in australia ,
    shame we never got the big block ford engines :doh: