Join Shelby Forums Today

barn find - 1969 GT500

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by ravenbalck, May 2, 2007.

1. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Member

Re: barn find

Xclnt find:thumbsup: You are one lucky dude. Where did you find the car? I do a lot of business in the Mid West and am always combing the local classifieds for that special find as well. Still looking:wacko:

2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

Screw Kevin Marti if he is not wanting to assist you. Vince Liska is actually more important than him at this point. search the car for a Build Sheet. get Documentation from Liska and any previous Owners like the school. check and see if pictures of it are in the Year book. you need to become Colombo!

3. ravenbalck

ravenbalck Well-Known Member

have not yet been given the school it went to
    as for the year book what book is that can you explain
    are you talking about the shelby register ......... or the yaer book of the school it went to ....

4. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Member

Marti Auto Works, (623) 935-2558. Kevin is just following rules and regulations. By doing so he is protecting us all in this hobby. Ravenblack,still would like to know where the car was found. Can tell you if you are able to do a DMV search in that particular state(that is of course if the car was ever registered). Also curious to know how far it wandered away from MI.

5. daltondavid

I speak of the School it was sent to as a research vehicle. Maybe it was in a Year book from a Shop class photo. maybe there are former students out there who remember this car. Vince Liska being the Registrar and self annointing this vehicle as a "Shelby" is an interesting situation. :blink: prototypes from other years have been ruled out. some are ruled in. I would love to know what his reasons for determining this car is a Shelby. Now that he has done that, Kevin Marti should Sell you what information he has available.:guitar:

6. ravenbalck

well after sending him various photos which were asked to be taken
    and also the date codes of the car in general including the glass ,
    he annointed the car a shelby and quoted it would be listed in the shelby register , also ther are some unique things on the car that have proven the
    originality and status of this Prototype shelby ....
    i am sure you will all read about it soon in the coming months as the next step is editorial on this shelby prototype vehicle , it takes time to get this out for public to read and be assured it is in the process......:thumbsup:

7. daltondavid

Well if you and Vince are so Certain it is a Shelby, why are you not sharing the whole story and pictures with the rest of us?? has Mustang Monthly paid you for an Exclusive or something?? please do not tell me we have to wait for the next Registry to be published before the Truth be told as that may be another 5 years the way things are moving..... !! Post some pics, tell the story, or we can lock this thread and move on with people that want to share knowledge, not keep it to themselves. after all that is what this Forum is all about. Sharing knowledge about Shelby Cars.:dance:

8. shelbydowunda

shelbydowunda New Member

9. ravenbalck

:guns:
    :blink: ok i can understand were you are coming from and i am posting as things progress , the car was found about 10 days ago and i will post all i have on this site , i do not want to misquote anyone or mislead anyone , we are sharing our knowledge on this forum and will post the whole story , whats mustang monthly got to do with this , exclusivity is right here on this forum.
    as snakepit quoted me on a thread , be patient all members are not experts if we did not have this forum or computers in this instance it would of taken us 10 months to get to were this thread has gone in 10 Days.
    .all will be revealed shortly , i was as blind as a welders dog prior to posting this thread and with everyones input all will be disclosed ...:cool:

can you give me some hints were to look for a build sheet in these cars ,
    first of all would you think a prototype would have a build sheet ?????.

by the way a nice forum member by the name of Lowell , and what a Generous Gentleman sent me tonight an article on these cars from a magazine. Words can not express the gratitude at this present moment .
    The shelby American #49 page 17 shows prototype 9s02s100029 once again thks for the replys and all emails i have received , this site has just been great informative and helpful , great to read replys from the true lovers of the shelbys with history ,admiration and true passion of these True Muscle Cars.:thumbup:
    Not like other forums with hungry people that are in it for the $$$$ ::thumbdown

To Jeff thks for research ie; inventory lists , i will get back to you on your questions , your email was received with pleasure :thumbsup:

10. ravenbalck

:guitar:
    Car is in AUSTRALIA , Pitty you did not find it Jase , looks like you do a lot of travel on the World Wide Web TOO Buddy, . why not give the local Club MOCA Mustang Owners Club Australia first View of the car at Club Meeting in Merrylands and let them write about in their Monthly Magazine Print post PP241576 / 0004? , so this is one part of the story . Car was found in AUSTRALIA ... Stike me FAT !!!!!!! :cool:
    Pretty hard to show the members of the shelby forum when the car is DOWNUNDER , yep , sent here many many years ago , . i can assure you
    that i will post pictures on the shelby forum same day as i post on the MOCA Forum .and there is more to the story etc:::::thumbup:

Shelbydownunda i owe you a dogseye :) thats what we call a meatpie here downunder , this shelbydownunda has eaten the jocky to win his race .:lol:

11. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Member

Well that rules out a DMV search:lol: Have you been in contact K Marti yet? So the GT500KR you bought is not to be confused with the current one.Geez Louise you aussies are getting all the good stuff:grrr:

12. ravenbalck

waiting on doumentation , will contact kevin marti soon and try to talk to him direct, beleive there are many shelbys in australia , kr 's hertz cars and know a prototype , i beleive with the foreign exchange and the us $ against the australian $ at 0.84 , the ozzies are buying many american muscle cars
    lets not forget the free trade agreement our countries have in place no taxes etc .... have a look at the comparison muscle cars in Australia , they are obviously the shelby of Australia . http://www.bonhamsandgoodman.com.au/lot_details.php?lot=27024&view=results&year=2007&offset=0
    when we compare the muscle car prices against all other countries its only the last 12 months our cars are starting to command the levels of other international markets .... muscle in australia is on the move up , :wacko:

13. daltondavid

ask Vince Liska where to look for a build sheet.I am not as familiar with th e69/70 cars.

14. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Hunt for the build sheet every were. Under seats (between springs and cushions) under carpet, behind quarter trim. At a regular production plant a couple dozen were produced for sub assembly stations and some times (depending on workers and plant) they attached the sheet to the subassembly so that the right parts got to the right car. Other times the rotation number was just written on the subassembly.

The problem here is that this is a pilot plant and I not aware if what we know as built sheets were even used.

Just thinking....is there a buck tag on the car. by 69 all three Mustang plants were installing them (well SJ rarely in 69) It might give some more information, but again we don't if the pilot plant needed or used them. Worth a look (radiator support or inner fender lip)

15. ravenbalck

well started to look for the build sheet, wanted to see if i could find a 69st number or anything , question did all back seats come with an individual metal tag on them or was only the prototype cars will keep looking for that biuld sheet . very uniue numbers and adta on the tag:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

16. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Metal tags on the seat springs/frame are pretty typical. Though this tag may differ in type and style considering the car

17. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Member

Being a new model chances are that the seats are prototypes as well. If you have a look at your 68's seat tags, you'll probably notice that there is a lot less stampings (on the 68s that is). Let us know what you find.

18. ravenbalck

ok so all seats had a metal tag
    decoded some of the first lines data
    as a part number that coensides with
    B = Body and Electrical Product Division
    is this the standard part number fo seats ?:eek:

19. shelbydowunda

shelbydowunda New Member

20. ravenbalck